Raw Milk

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I fully believe the raw milk has so many good attributes. My girls ages 5 and 3 were supposedly lacto intolerant. I could not even drink store bought pasturized milk without giving them horrible gas while breastfeeding. I read a aricle in Maureen Kenedy Salamans book, and she suggested the raw milk. Explained how the good bacteria worked. I did some reasearch about how many people actually got sick from raw milk. Not many, there were more illnesses from bad chicken and beef but not the milk. The girls drank it with no problem. I think they were actually more resistent to the common heath issues, colods etc.,..
My peditrician on the other hand, he ripped into me and even went as far to give the little one a
tb test. which came out negative. Due to the cost I only buy the raw milk now and then. But, when my son starts complaining that his stomach hurts it's the first thing I give him.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
All the info I have read on raw milk states that if a person is lactose intolerant they should be able to drink raw milk with no problems. And even though they kill off the bacteria(good & bad) by pasturizing it they leave all that floating around in the milk too. There is no filtering it out after. And the raw milk is tested too so the chances of illness are reduced even more.

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
realmilk.com is another great place to find local raw milk. You may also want to look up "cowshare" or "cowboarding." In my state, it is illegal. So we use this legal loophole to get our milk at a local organic raw milk dairy. We pay a small fee to "own" a share in the cow! :)

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
An excellent way to get raw milk is to buy a "share in a cow" at a local farm. I just learned about this recently... a lot of farms will let you purchase, say, 1/4 of a cow... which means that you pay 1/4 of the price of purchasing a whole cow, and get 1/4 of the raw milk produced by that cow.

In many states, selling raw milk is illegal. But drinking raw milk from your own cow is not. This is how farms get around those laws for those interested in raw milk who don't have dairy farms.

EDITED TO ADD: oops. just saw that farm_mom said the same thing right before me, but I didn't read close enough. Sorry! I'm careless in the brain today...

ChickaD

Country Living
Reaction score
A BYC friend recently told us how much better raw milk is (for health and for taste); since then we've discovered (through realmilk.com) several dairy farms in the area that sell raw milk for $5 a gallon. It's so delicious, it's sort of like drinking melted ice cream! :p

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
if you ever want more indepth information on cowshares or what questions you really need to ask before joining one PM me. We run a cowshare here and have seen some good and some real scams.