Re-purposing a Toaster Oven (shop uses)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Powder coating carbs? :D
You mean like toast? or what's bolted on my chainsaw's cylinder? o_O:p

But, hey... I was recently reminded for something else you can do with an old toaster oven. I've had numerous personal experiences that flashlight-type batteries that are becoming weak can give a little longer effective service if you warm them for 5 minutes or so at around 125*F. I've never had any problem doing this (they haven't exploded or leaked), but I've never left them in the heat longer than, say, 10 minutes. The possibility that they could conceivably pop would make a shop-dedicated toaster oven a better choice than one you use in your kitchen.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would have huge health concerns regarding the heavy metals in a home workshop. We passed on buying a particular house a few years ago because the owner was a gold smith who worked in his home--just in a regular room with regular vents in and out for the forced air heating. We would have had no idea what was in the air/furnace as a result of his work.

Not to mention the fact that many of the plastic components would melt as well--more stuff in the air, and damage to some of the parts that the person might be trying to recover.

Most electronics have specific requirements for max temperature and duration for which they can be exposed to that temp. You could over-do it in an oven. I've had OK luck with a heat gun and banging the circuit board against the edge of something.

BTW, speaking as someone who recovered many many parts, I find that it can be a waste of time. You can usually do OK just buying the parts you need. The main cost is usually getting a circuit board made. And even if you do everything on proto board, adding uncertainty to your project with recycled parts is a questionable savings, if you ask me. I don't want to be discouraging but I thought I should share my experience.

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't know how far away your shop is from your house, but just using it normally might be handy to heat a bagel or make a toasted cheese sandwich, cook a snack, instead of having to stop working on a project and lose your project mojo.

On cold days when I'm outside working I know if I stop to go get something in the house, I blow more time than I planned, I've tracked in mud and crud, and it's harder to go out again and get back into the swing of things :)

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Totally off-topic: I removed that spammer and the post that was earlier in this thread. In the future, don't hesitate to report suspicious posts, especially if it's a first time poster with links in their posts.

Latest posts