receipe for dish detergent

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have not found (other than to dilute dawn) a way to make a satisfactory dish washing detergent...not one for the dishwasher...does some one have this.....do you use the dry or liquid laundry detergent for this..? G

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
You use a dilution of liquid castile soap for liquid handwashing dish soap like liquid Dawn. I have a recipe somewhere...will have to look it up. I can't remember the ratio of dilution.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We haven't found a recipe that really works well, but what I do is get the powdered Cascade and mix it with 1 part borax, 1 part washing soda, and 2 parts Cascade. It works better than the plain Cascade. We put it in the open well in the door, and in the well with the little door we put a glug of white vinegar. So we get one wash, one vinegar rinse, and one plain rinse. Works great.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I won't use washing soda again. I ended up with a film like cloud on my glassware (think water glass, not etching) that will NOT come off even with soaking in straight vinegar. We had a lengthy discussion on here somewhere about this. GD was a chemist in a big company that manufacturered stuff like this and explained how and why it happens.

I now buy the store brand of dishwasher detergent and am happy with it. Before that I used Cascade and cut it with baking soda. The dollar store stuff had so much filler in it, it wasn't worth the money to me. For $0.30 more, the grocery store brand can have my business.

For liquid dish soap, I didn't like any of the recipes I tried. Nothing just was as good for me as Dawn.

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I thank you for the receipes but are they for the ---- hand washing at the kitchen sink ---- I do not have a dishwasher, I am IT..Ha. can the automatic dishwashing machine soap be used at --- the kitchen -- sink --?

Wannabee: I would like to try the castille soap.. could you find the "How To"?
I did find a - Lavender Dish Soap - makes a gallon... I think you can interchange the scents also... did you do that one?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I've tried castile soap for dishes, didn't like it...I like my suds, hate beig able to see all that gross food floating aroung in there due to lack of suds...it just makes everything seem so dirty! LOL! I'm sticking to my sunlight for handwashing.
Tried washing soda for sihwasher as well, and had a big problem with cloudy glasses too. Nope, dishes are one thing I will stick to store bought brands for.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Our glassware is not cloudy. I was a LOT of jars every day with the home dairy thing going on here.