receipe for dish detergent

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here are the recipes I had saved:

Homemade dish soap recipes:

Recipe #1: Liquid Castile Soap
1. Grab some liquid castile soap from your local health food store. Castile soap refers to any soap that is made entirely from vegetable oil.
2. Mix 2 cups of castile soap with 1/2 cup of warm water in a recycled dish soap squeeze bottle.
3. For scented dish soap, add a few drops of essential oils.
4. Shake well before using

Recipe #2: Soap Flakes
Buy soap flakes where you usually purchase laundry detergent. (Ivory is one)

1. Combine 2 cups of soap flakes with one gallon of warm water.
2. Place the mixture in a large, non-reactive pan and warm over medium heat until the soap is completely dissolved.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of glycerin and remove from heat.
4. After letting the soap cool, add a 1/2 cup of lemon juice or 1/2 cup of white vinegar. Either of these 2 ingredients will help the soap to fight grease.
5. For a scented soap, add a few drops of essential oils. Mix well.

Recipe #3: Solid Soap Shavings
You can save even more money by making dish soap from leftover pieces of bar soap! Just be sure to chop them into very fine pieces first.

1. Place 2 cups of soap shavings into a large bowl.
2. Add 2-3 cups of hot water and let it sit overnight to soften.
3. Stir the mixture until it becomes smooth. Add more water to reach the desired consistency.
4. Add 1/2 cup of lemon juice or white vinegar to help fight grease.
5. Shake well before using.

I never did do the castile recipe. Locally it's pretty expensive. On the others, I'd get some suds until I added the lemon juice, then no suds at all. The dishes were clean, as I did the 'squeak' test. But DH wasn't convinced, and I felt the same as Morel.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Our glassware is not cloudy. I was a LOT of jars every day with the home dairy thing going on here.
Wow, I wonder what the difference is? You know, why I had problems and you don't.

We have really hard water, but have a good water softener. I used vinegar instead of jet dry, but they still just gradually got cloudier. Never had the problem before I used the washing soda recipes, or since. I can't get the cloudy stuff off, dangit. They are gradually getting better each time they get washed, but I doubt if all of it will ever come off.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I don't put the vinegar in the jet dry container, which just dispenses a few drops. I put a whole glug of vinegar in the detergent well with the little locking door. So I have one wash with the powder, one vinegar rinse, and one plain rinse. Who knows why it works? I get very cloudy glassware with just plain purchased detergent!

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne, just what is a " non-reactive" pan..? I know my daughters will ask as well as I am asking..... I really want this to be a working receipe as I plan on using it when.......I will have the ingredients.....also some store bought to back up the really greasy things.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'd say to not use your better copper kettle for the soap recipes. :eek:)

I don't have any problems using my stainless steel cookware. Some metals might react to some soaps, but I dunno which ones - aluminum might be one. Anyone else?

I do know that commercial Cascade will trash aluminum. But honestly, who takes the time to read the stuff on the label?? Plenty of other dish soaps/dishwasher soaps don't react to aluminum though.