Recipes that require only a few available ingredients.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
One thing to help with the freezer is to freeze water jugs & fill in the empty spaces ith them. Then when there is an extended power outage you have your food on ice too. We have a generator also that we would alternate between the freezers & fridge & not run at all at night.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi HM
I freeze "good" drinking water when the ice storms start to hit in the winter. I know just like you said, that I have water in ice form if needed. Always good to have backup cause it works double duty....ice in the freezer to help your items, extra drinking water if needed. Smart! I also freeze small drinking bottles of water later in the winter just for this reason. Instead of recycling out some bottles I just reuse them and freeze in case I need to thaw and drink during a power outage.

we do what we can..LOL

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yes we do, FC. Of course i don't have to worry about ice storms out here. But we do get floods occasionally & I believe the next time it will be even worse since the developers messed with the natural waterways when they built a lot of the developments during the housing boom.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
A couple kind of dumb questions:

1. Do you need a cast iron skillet/cookware to cook on a woodstove or just for over a fire?

2. Beesimple--what's your method for cooking dried beans in a crockpot--it sounds easy!

my recipes:

sandwiches with PB, homemade jam or eggs

soup with any available meat, any available vegetables for broth, any available grain (rice, pasta, couscous, etc.)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
A couple kind of dumb questions:

1. Do you need a cast iron skillet/cookware to cook on a woodstove or just for over a fire?

2. Beesimple--what's your method for cooking dried beans in a crockpot--it sounds easy!

my recipes:

sandwiches with PB, homemade jam or eggs

soup with any available meat, any available vegetables for broth, any available grain (rice, pasta, couscous, etc.)
This makes a lot, so be prepared to eat them for a couple of meals. One could modify it to suit, I guess, but this is my mom's recipe and she had 9 children...never did learn to scale down!

Brown Beans

3 c. pinto beans, washed
Fill up 5-7 qt. crock pot with water and turn to HIGH.
Minced onions(we use alot!)
seasonings of choice
2 T. chili powder
1/4 c. olive oil
Garlic powder
1 T. salt

Cook until beans start peeling(4-5 hours).

Note: She and I just put them in the pot before we go to bed and they are done by morning. She is a veggie, so if I want to convert this to chili, I just add some tomato juice, or canned tomatoes, and some ground meat.

Lima Beans

1 package, washed
Cover beans with water
Add seasoning of choice
Minced onions(we use alot of these!)
1 T. salt
Heavy dollop, or two, of olive oil

Cook on HIGH for 1-2 hours. Again, we just throw them in the pot at night (add a bit of extra water if doing limas) and wake up to a hot meal.

You don't need a cast iron skillet to cook on a wood stove. You can use any heavy type skillet, but keep in mind that a wood stove puts heat on your handle alot and most skillets aren't designed with this in mind.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
There is a thread going on over at BYC that I just found and its called Depression Era Recipes.
Its pretty good, old fashioned make do kind of stuff like
Trash Hash.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been making simple soups in the crockpot . Basically, a green, some beans and broth. First, I made escarole and chick pea w' veggie broth. This week I made spinach and kidney bean w' veggie broth. You can add s,p and garlic. Yummy and easy.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
This is a recipe I got from another board I'm on... it is made on top a wood stove.

Barbecued Lentils

Cook 4 cups washed lentils for 20 minutes. Then add a jar of homemade barbecue sauce (recipe below) and a big sauted onion. Bake for an hour or so on top the wood stove.

Barbecue sauce

l cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. prepared mustard
11/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

This is a sweet sauce and delicious on any meat, too. If you are missing any of the sweeteners you can add more of some other one you have on hand.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We love beans on toast. Cheap, fast and easy.

On a plate place:
toasted bread - any kind, can be buttered, if desired
mustard (optional, but good)
heated baked beans
chopped onions
shredded cheese

Serve with side of greens or salad if desired.

This is one of the recipes I use for baked beans, or you could use canned.

Slow Cooker, Wood Stove or Oven Baked
Boston Baked Beans

2 cups dried navy beans
4 whole cloves
2 onions, peeled
1 bay leaf (optional)
6 Tb tomato ketchup
2 Tb molasses or maple syrup
2 Tb dark brown sugar
1 Tb Dijon-style mustard (any in a pinch)
2 cups veggie stock or water
Salt and pepper

Rinse the beans, then place in a large bowl. Cover with cold water and leave to soak for at least 8 hours or overnight.

Drain and rinse the beans. Place them in a large pan, cover with plenty of cold water and bring to a boil. Boil gently for about 10 minutes, then drain and tip into the slow cooker dish. Or if you dont have a slow cooker, tip the beans into an oven proof casserole dish. If you are cooking on wood stove, use a dutch oven.

Stick 2 cloves in each of the onions. Add them to the pot with the bay leaf, burying them in the beans.

In a bowl, blend together the ketchup, molasses, sugar, mustard and stock. Pour over the beans. Add more stock or water if necessary, so that the beans are almost covered with liquid. Cover and switch the cooker to slow and cook for 2 to 3 hours. If baking in the oven, cook at 300 for 1 to 2 hours, until the beans are just tender. If coooking on wood stove, check every 2 hours or so, and cook until beans are just tender. Stir.

Cook for 2 to 3 hours more in the slow cooker, or 1 to 2 hours more in the oven or wood stove. Stir in salt and pepper and serve.

Serves 8