Recommendations on Pressure Canners?

coldcreekchick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am planning ahead this year.I am not gonna wait until canning season to look for a pressure canner. I've been doing a little research and it seems like the All American is highly recommended. Don' know if the bigger one is worth the money? Can you can smaller amounts in the bigger one, if you don't have a large amount? It seems like different reviews bring up different points. Anyone have an opinion?
Also, I am new to this site, got here from Backyard Chickens, which has a search feature. I was just going to search the site for Pressure Canners, but didn't see a search feature. Did I miss it? Thanks, all answers appreciated.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
:welcome

Howdy!!! I recomed the mirromatic pressure canner they are safer than the regular ones....

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
coldcreekchick said:
I am planning ahead this year.I am not gonna wait until canning season to look for a pressure canner. I've been doing a little research and it seems like the All American is highly recommended. Don' know if the bigger one is worth the money? Can you can smaller amounts in the bigger one, if you don't have a large amount? It seems like different reviews bring up different points. Anyone have an opinion?
Also, I am new to this site, got here from Backyard Chickens, which has a search feature. I was just going to search the site for Pressure Canners, but didn't see a search feature. Did I miss it? Thanks, all answers appreciated.
The All American is the cadillac of pressure canners and priced accordingly. Things to consider when getting a pressure canner. How much can you afford? How much will you be using it? How big is your family? How much space do you have under your hood above the stove? Do you have a gas or electric stove?
I bought the very best and biggest All American because I can year round, have a big family, have a huge garden, have plenty of space under my hood, have a gas stove and just happened to find one cheap on ebay. The All American is made of heavy, heavy steel with the screw down lids so you cannot blow them out and you never need gaskets. On the other hand if you have any disabilities that make lifting that heavy puppy a problem you should go with another brand.
Yes, you can use it when it's not full. I use mine to do all kinds of stuff. I can easily put two whole turkeys in there to cook under pressure. Then I remove the turkeys and the stock, clean out the pan and proceed to can the turkey meat in the same pot. I can can 18 large mouth quarts easily, meaning there's space between them. I also have a little mirro pressure canner that I use for very small loads when I want to save energy and my back.

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I want to try canning for the first time ever in my life,,just hubby and I so am thinking pint jars is the size I will use most..but I do have a glass top range,my question is can I use a burner from a turkey deep fryer and do them outside? I always hated when my mom used the HWB method in the house when 100 degrees inside and no AC..

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can't use the All American on the glass top stoves. But the Presto is rated for them. That is how I ended up with my two Presto 23-quart canners.

Some use the turkey fryers, but it is not recommended...stability issues with a big canner under pressure, I think. I don't can when it is hot out. But I don't do veggies, either.

On the blue bar on the top of this page, you will see the word "Search." Click on it and you can do a search...be sure to check out all the options, and play around with them until you get it figured out. We've discussed pressure canning quite a bit here! Lots of recipes, ideas, instructions all over the place....enough to make a book!

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
freemotion said:
You can't use the All American on the glass top stoves. But the Presto is rated for them. That is how I ended up with my two Presto 23-quart canners.

Some use the turkey fryers, but it is not recommended...stability issues with a big canner under pressure, I think. I don't can when it is hot out. But I don't do veggies, either.

On the blue bar on the top of this page, you will see the word "Search." Click on it and you can do a search...be sure to check out all the options, and play around with them until you get it figured out. We've discussed pressure canning quite a bit here! Lots of recipes, ideas, instructions all over the place....enough to make a book!
thanks freemotion,,I will use the search tool also and read up..

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Happy reading! And don't hesitate to resurrect any of those older threads with your own questions or comments! I do mostly pints, too.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome from another BYCer. I recently got a presto 23quart and really like having the ability to do two rows of pints. It's much more versatile than one row.

Good luck on it and whatever you get, make sure you do a test run first with just water to see how it works. I learned a lot just doing that. And do ask people here -t here's a lot of folks who know a whole lot about canning! Also, whatever canner you get, also get the Ball Blue Book of canning. It's like, the canning bible.

I just picked up a new book on canning:Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry I'm looking forward to trying out some of the recipes.

coldcreekchick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks to all, I do now see search in the blue line above, and I WILL use it! But I do appreciate all the input, and I will get the bible of canning. This seems like a great site!