Reconsidering cat ownership...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Declawing the monster, banning her from the house, or wringing her neck, gosh I was tempted to yesterday! She is too darn lazy to go downstairs to use the cat little tray (and when she does, can't be bothered to bury the messes as cats are supposed to, so the expensive odour control litter is a bit pointless then isn't it?) So when she's upstairs where she prefers to be, she "goes" under my bed :mad: I decided to retrain her when she comes into my bedroom then, picking her up and taking her downstairs, so she can do her business there, as she should… Not making a big fuss over it (from my side anyway), but the little turd clearly took a dislike to that idea yesterday…

IMG_20170617_190740.jpg
IMG_20170617_190752.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Cat elimination problems can be difficult, but if you can think like a cat you might be able to solve it.

With such a young cat, I'd suggest putting her in a big dog kennel with a litter box, in the place you want the litter box to be.

Experts suggest to have at least 2 litterboxes for 1 cat, and the litterboxes should be 2 to 3 times the size of what you find in pet stores. If she's "going" under the bed, she may prefer an enclosed box. She might dislike the litter itself. The box might be in a spot where she feels she doesn't have an escape route. Unrelated medical issues can present as elimination problems. Most cat owners don't have patience to figure out the cause of elimination problems.

Personally, though, I prefer to housetrain a cat much like a dog. I like cats but hate litterboxes! And cats that..... act too much like cats. :gig

My barn cat comes inside most days for at least half the day. My previous cat I got as a kitten and had her kennel trained like a dog, and house trained like a dog too. I like house cats, but I draw the line at litterboxes. Nope!!!

I'm also a stickler on cat nail trims. Cats are shockingly tolerant of nail trims and it's not hard on a kitten. Use a human nail clipper and cut the entire hook off the nail. Repeat weekly and you'll never get claw marks like that again.

I find myself getting less tolerant of animal shenanigans over time.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The kitty I brought home is going to be a barn cat. Im tired of having to clean up cat puke, messes, peeing or pooping on my furniture. I love cats, but no more indoor ones. Some smells you cant get out.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Some smells you cant get out.
Spray it with vinegar. We lived with friends a few years ago who had untrained indoor cats. We were forever cleaning up their toilets and vinegar worked miracles on the smells. IF I get a cat again I'm going to keep it outside too. They are lovely, but gosh, they are a pain.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My cats are well behaved and not too much trouble thankfully. Pushy when they want something, but not bad.

Luke used to pee on the dog beds if they pissed him off. He did finally quit that. Been 2 years since an incident. The dogs don't annoy him as much now.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some cats just need to belong to somebody else. I like cats, hate litter boxes and if a cat was pooping under my bed, it would be a gone kitty.