Redd peppers

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I just got another batch of red peppers. (moms friend works in a greehouse) i have a bunch in the freezer already. What else can I do witht them??? I do plan on bbqing some for dinner, and maybe stuffing some, but what else? If I dehydrated some what would you use them for afterwards. I must be kinda brain dead lately, cuz i can't think of anything.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Make stuffed peppers? My kids won't eat the kind in green peppers but do eat them in red peppers!

Eat them until you turn red :) They are SO GOOD!

How about canning them? Could you pickle them or roast and then can them?

They might be good rehydrated for veggie dip...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My mom used to put them in her spaghetti sauce she canned. This year she even used some in her hot pepper butter to give it a different flavor.

I've read you can hang the plant upside down in the cellar and keep your peppers fresh for some time. :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If you roast, peel and then puree them, they freeze compactly and are a great addition to soups, pasta sauces, POT ROAST (!), or make a good soup almost entirely on their own.

You could pickle some, too, depending on whether that's the sort of thing you would ever eat.

Have fun,

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
If you roast, peel and then puree them, they freeze compactly and are a great addition to soups, pasta sauces, POT ROAST (!), or make a good soup almost entirely on their own.

You could pickle some, too, depending on whether that's the sort of thing you would ever eat.

Have fun,

Pat
Thanks, I'll try the puree. I'll dehydrate a few, and make a small amount of the pickled peppers. I don't think that will be a bit hit around here, so I'll jsut make a small amount to try. But the puree sounds good.

Thing is, I will be getting lotsa red peppers. My moms friend is allowed to take home the ones that they can't package for market, so every so often I will be getting a bunch. And I won't turn them away--b/c we love red peppers!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Congrats on getting those red peppers! I am planning to plant red peppers in the garden this next spring!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Congrats on getting those red peppers! I am planning to plant red peppers in the garden this next spring!
I found them very tricky to grow. TAs soon as mine started turning red, they were basically starting to rot. I only tried them once though.

These greenhouse peppers are beasutiful--even for seconds. I love it when I get a 1/2 bushel --and for free no less.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I just pulled a couple of big beauties out of the garden the other day. Used one in a stir fry and it was delish!
Personally, If I had a surplus I would roast and then can them.