Redneck High Class Livin'

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My hunting dog curls up on a old blanket under my work bench. Tonight is supposed to get down to 15 degrees. He's usually up all night on patrol but tonight he was curled up on the blanket under my work table.

I kind of felt sorry for him even though he has a fur coat. So I made him a warmer place to curl up. I've heard cardboard and shipping tape houses are high class living in some countries. But I stepped it up a notch and have him a 6" deep sawdust floor over top of his blanket. I have to do something with these massive huge card board boxes that my truck parts came in.

Anyways, it was a spur of the moment thing but he seems to like it :) I'm such a redneck sometimes.
IMG_20191111_224639785.jpg

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’m sure he’ll enjoy the extra insulation. My stupid (or not) dog likes to hang out on top of the hot tub. But tonight it’s soooo windy so she’s curled up behind it. This is the dog that won’t come inside unless I drag her in.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’m sure he’ll enjoy the extra insulation. My stupid (or not) dog likes to hang out on top of the hot tub. But tonight it’s soooo windy so she’s curled up behind it. This is the dog that won’t come inside unless I drag her in.

That's exactly the way he is also. He would be miserable if I brought him in. I leave my work shop door open all the time and that's where his food, water and bed are. He's cool with it and no one goes in the shop except the mail man to drop off a package now and then.

The mailman said Baxter and him are best buds, but "cojoe" (baby bear/wife's rottweiler) wants to eat me when he's on the porch.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Can't tell if he likes it better, but I thought the smell of his own blanket might be preferable

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Can't tell if he likes it better, but I thought the smell of his own blanket might be preferable

Well now he's on top of the saw dust pile. He sometimes sleeps there also, when I have a big pile. The wind is whipping so I just closed the door to the shop he'll be fine either way in the box or on the pile. He won't patrol tonight anyways in the ice and snow. I'm sure he'll take to the blanket in the box sooner or later.
IMG_20191111_235217.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My female Great Pyrenees has a doghouse, the male doesn’t, he sleeps on the porch on doggie beds. LOL The new puppy fits in a doghouse— for now!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we used to get a bale of straw for the doghouse out back for the winter so the doggie could be warm enough. it was a big golden lab. an escape artist (his pen at night was 8ft fence) who kept trying to get back to his original home (one of my uncle's had him originally and lived across the state). then one time he got away and we never heard from him again. :(

yes, i'd understand his preference for a pile of sawdust over a cold cement floor any time. if you have old blankets to sew together and stuff full of fresh sawdust then he might find that ok, but the thicker pile is going to be softer on a big doggie like that. old bones and all that...