Released 24 hours after surgery - and chasing goats 24 hrs after that

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I'm home already. Had the surgery at 8:00 Thursday morning and the doctor released me this morning. I feel not too bad, considering. I still have a drain in place and I have to monitor and record the output from that till Tues. morning and if it has dried up enough by then, they'll remove the drain. As much as I want the darned thing out, I'm seriously NOT looking forward to the removal. It's extremely painful, but thankfully only lasts a second or two.

The surgery went very well, but I had a less than pleasant experience in the OR. Some people, and I'm one of them, experience a burning sensation when the anasthetic is injected. I remembered the last time and was expecting some discomfort, but the...uh...idiots in the OR left the blood pressure cuff inflated on my arm so when they injected the anasthetic, it had nowhere to go. It pooled in my arm and burned like crazy! I was hollering and writhing and could tell everyone was just sort of standing there like, "why isn't she going under?" till one of the nurses suddenly reached over and yanked off the BP cuff. Then the anasthetic flooded into the rest of my body instead of flowing in slowly like it's supposed to. Not a pleasant way to go under, I can tell you.

But, it's over now and once the drain is out, it will be smooth sailing from there.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oh, man, I'm so sorry, that's awful, but at least you're home, and hopefully out of pain. Take care of yourself, I hope the rest goes well for you. Take care!

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SheriM said:
the...uh...idiots in the OR left the blood pressure cuff inflated on my arm so when they injected the anasthetic, it had nowhere to go. It pooled in my arm and burned like crazy! I was hollering and writhing and could tell everyone was just sort of standing there like, "why isn't she going under?" till one of the nurses suddenly reached over and yanked off the BP cuff.
Wouldn't you just like to :smack people like that.

Glad all went well. Still hoping for the best.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm very glad you are out and the surgery is over with.

Sending prayers your way for a speedy recovery and good results.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So glad to hear you are home. :hugs to you...and praying for a speedy recovery.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good you are home and they didn't find reason to keep you. People heal faster at home...be sure to keep your pain under control. It is easier to control if you don't let it get out of control...no need to be hero or anything...people heal faster with good pain control too!

Prayers and blessings to you for a speedy recovery.

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One of the biggest blessings in all of this is that there is remarkably little pain associated with the healing. Provided I'm careful about how I move, there's really very little discomfort. I've been able to keep the pain totally under control with just Tylenol and Advil.

The other side of this coin, though, is it's easy to forget I just had major surgery. With a baby goat still in the house part time, the floors need constant sweeping (she's eating hay now and scattering it far and wide is a favorite passtime for her) and I don't know how many times I've stood up to go the the broom and had to stop myself. :)