Reliabe Non-GMO Seed supplier?

winstonlacewing

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
hi everybody :),
i'm new to this forum, am a farmer and seedsman, as well as a 'prepper' concerned about the coming years. i just thought i'd add my two cents to this discussion...

baker creek carries varieties that nobody else does, including some long-lost heirlooms that may be important in maintaining genetic diversity of our food crops. that said, we have had numerous failures with their seed, and do not buy from them unless we want a variety that can't be found anywhere else. as farmers, we find their marketing (huge, glossy photos, etc.) to be objectionable, especially when contrasted by poor quality seed. the varieties are awesome, but the quality is inconsistent.

i've had good results from southern exposure and have heard good things about saltspring in canada. i would encourage folks to source their seeds based on a couple of factors: your bioregion/climate; your growing conditions.
- varieties will adapt to place...it's best to source seed that was grown in a climate closest to your own. the plants learn soils, temps, pests, etc. of any given area.
- if you are growing an organic garden, it's best to source organic seeds. similar to climatic adaptation, plants adapt to growing conditions. if the seeds were grown conventionally, and the parent plants given petroleum fertilizers and pesticides, that is what the plants will adapt to. organic seeds are adapted to organic growing conditions. here's a list of organic seed suppliers: oops...i'm new, and i can't post a url. google: 'OSA organic seed list'

we have had by far the best results from seed that we have saved. it's crucially important to 'steward' each variety you grow. if you are growing corn, you must have a population of at least 150-200 plants...any less and the saved seed will express 'inbreeding depression.' if a variety is not stewarded for a single generation, and you no longer have access to new seed, it may be impossible to improve the variety again. here are a couple sources for information on saving seed:
- 'seed to seed' by suzanne ashworth
- google: 'OSA seed saving guide'

these topics can go deep. i'm happy to share tips and information about quality seeds and seed saving, or organic farming if anybody has questions.

blessings,
winston

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
SuburbanFarmChic said:
The Baker Creek catalog is DANGEROUS!

I dropped 87.00 on my first order 3 years ago and I'm still going through them.
wow..... i hope this doesnt happen to me.!

Latest posts