Reliabe Non-GMO Seed supplier?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
CheerioLounge said:
I will only be able to :drool, I ain't got no money!!
Me too!
My grandma is buying most of this or I wouldn't be ordering either. I just needed some stevia and a couple of things. I think my total was $10.

SuburbanFarmChic

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
The Baker Creek catalog is DANGEROUS!

I dropped 87.00 on my first order 3 years ago and I'm still going through them.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
gypsywoman said:
OK, I must ask...which seeds did your your grandma chime in about? I always find myself trusting older generations MUCH more than our own with this! Thanks :)
sorry, just saw this question... she got the Country Gentlman sweet corn, the Red Ripper peas, Kentucky Wonder pole beans, Missouri Wonder pole beans, Strawberry Popcorn(she says it has WAY less husk when popped :D ) and Mammoth Grey Striped sunflowers. I got a little of each of those as well. The popcorn sounds like a winner around here, and the sweet corn. There were a lot of flowers she hadn't seen/heard ofin years too, but she only ordered some bachelor buttons in those.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am a bit concerned when I see people talking of "put up seeds" You do know that seeds have a shelf life that varies by type and storage conditions? stock should be rotated for best results. I will be planting about 1/2 of the seed saved from the 2010 crop this spring and just tiny amounts from the 2011 crop just to test that those A seed bank is not like gold stashed away someplace. You cannot just stash and forget seeds. They need to be regown or the line will dieout.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
~gd I think we all pretty well know they have a shelf life that means we'll have to plant them to keep the strain going ;) I am saving seed for next year out of this years crop, and what I don't use will be labelled and stored properly for use the following year. Most seed is good for at least 2 years though from all I have found/read. I like the Baker Creek catalog, because it shows you how to save the seeds for the following seasons :) Most seed catalogs don't encourage seed saving as much because they want to sell more product.

Thanks for the heads up though to those who may not realize :hugs

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For Canucks looking for heirloom, organic, open-pollinated, non-GMO seeds try www.saltspringseeds.com

We save seed from year to year, and don't always use it all up the following year--we have a few "experiment" seed envelopes of peas, beans, tomatoes, and a few different flowers (nasturtiums, hollyhocks, double-flowered pink poppies, sunflowers) that are from 2001 and 2003 that still germinate each year, we'll see if the few that are left are still viable in a few weeks. :)

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I found a pack of tomato seeds that I had used as a book mark when I went into labour with my daughter. 16yrs old and they sprouted just fine. They were growing well until the rabbits found them.

Edited to add, we lived in S Tx and NM so they may not have faired as well somewhere with more humidity/ moisture issues.

Blue Egg Jo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My fiance spent the Christmas $ he received from various relatives on seeds from Southern Exposure. Their customer service was great, the shipping was fast...and their catalog is extensive. Also, a lot of seeds for less money. We got many varieties and types for around $50.

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Moolie,

I order from them as well. I get my seed potatos from Eagle Creek Farm near Bowden. They have stuff not in the usual catalogues.