remedies for nausea and general tummy ick?

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Sporting a little nausea today, and i when i figured out that i had no pepto around, i went looking for natural remedies....or household remedies. Either way.

I found one thing i was willing to try to consume on http://tipnut.com/12-home-remedies-for-nausea/ this site.

I used the apple cider vinegar and honey in water.

It tasted ok at first, and after about half a cup, i felt better. But the relief was short-lived, and the bottom of cup tasted mostly like vinegar.

I would love to hear other remedies for nausea that don't involve going to the drug store.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ginger tea. I will simmer a piece of gingerroot with a little brown sugar, for about 1/2 hour, than add some of the syrup to hot water and drink.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Ginger is probably the best remedy for nausea. Anything that has ginger in it will help, although I would opt for ginger tea also.

Mythbusters did a test one time on this and they found that it was the best remedy of all the ones they tested.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
ok

with that ringing endorsement, i guess i definitely need to plant some ginger.

thank you.

any ideas if this will work with ground ginger? i'm about to try. not sure how much to use.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I dehydrate sliced fresh ginger and also lemon slices and then make tea from them.

While "experts" laugh at mint, I do steep mint leaves in hot water.

Honey in both of the above is soothing as well.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I, too, think that a ginger tea sounds great. If, like myself, you only have a mint tea around, that will work too but could give heartburn.

In summer, nothing is better that regular black sun tea with several sprigs of chocolate mint in it. Our family goes through a gallon a day when I make it.

ETA: I wish I had ginger or mint tea around now. I've had a splitting, stomach-churning, eye-glazing migraine for hours now.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
I just made some - from ground ginger.

i put two teaspoons of ginger and a whole lot (like 1/2 - 1 cup) of brown sugar in some water in a pot. i simmered it for a while and then poured a small amount of it into a mug of hot water.

it kind of hurts going down.

is it supposed to scare my tummy into submission, or did i use way way way too much ginger?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I've never made it with ground ginger before. When I do it my way, the ginger does have a little bite to it, but it is good. If it hurts going down, I would dilute it.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
This thread reminded me that I wanted to dehydrate my chocolate mint! So, I whacked it at about 3-4 inches, stripped the stems, and have five trays almost dry. Yippee !

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Whenever I have to use ground, I make it with a french press. Seems to get a bit more out and cuts down a bit on the weird texture that can result from that sort of thing. Hope that helps!