remedies for nausea and general tummy ick?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've not tried ginger, but that's a good thing to know.

I've always used mint in some way. Either tea, or a mint candy of some sort.

Or eat some dry crackers or bread....Ma's reasons were "to soak up whatevers churnin" & it has helped to settle things down.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just make sure there is something else in your stomach. A year ago I was craving baquette and brie, that's all I had all day. I got so incredibly sick, I get sick talking about it.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Think you used too much. :ep You might want to pick up some candied ginger next time you're at the grocery store. Probably in the spice section. Health food stores have it in bulk sometimes. Try a tiny about the size of a pea, to see how you like it.

lynnbe

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Another great thing to have on hand that you can take with you also is candid ginger. My husband gets sea sick very easily and when we went to Alaska and did a lot of boating, we took candid ginger.

Lo and behold, he did not get sea sick one time when he ate some ginger before we went out. :lol:

So it works for him!

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
I should have remembered ginger. Years ago, when i started getting air sick, i used to take ginger root capsules before take off and landing, and it helped a lot.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm going to have to see if my store has the candied ginger for sure. And get some planted in the ground so i can store it myself.

Can i candy my own? mmmmm i bet i can! ;)

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love ginger tea :) I drink it even when I'm not sick, and it has to be straight ginger root, powder is yuck for me.

Now here's a TMI question, what about, uh, loose bowels? I'm LI, didn't calculate how much dairy I had today and had to go home early from work. It was sooo embarrasing telling my manager...

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We used to eat rice to firm things up.

I am a lover of peppermint ... candy, tea or otherwise... for the nausea thing. The added benefit is that if the anti-nausea thing doesn't work at least the throw up smells all minty fresh! :p :gig

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Peppermint tea or dill pickle juice. It depends on what ick you got going on though. If its like a puking ick,....I eat saltines and sip on some sort of clear beverage and pray,....I hate being that kind of sick. :p

Vega

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
Peppermint tea or dill pickle juice. It depends on what ick you got going on though. If its like a puking ick,....I eat saltines and sip on some sort of clear beverage and pray,....I hate being that kind of sick. :p
I do the same thing when I'm sick. I'll drink Sprite or 7Up and eat saltine crackers. It's what my mom did when I was little and it's what I do when one of my family members is sick now. Eventually I'll move up to chicken noodle soup once I can keep down the crackers and clear soda.