Remodeling a doublewide (PIC HEAVY--NEW PICS!)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Oh honey the garden has been planned, hubby has to get busy on the fence! I also have to get the clothesline up! :lol:

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have a double wide modular built over a walk-out concrete block basement. The basement is more like an apartment, as it has a kitchen, dining area, laundry room and a 1/2 bath and 3/4 bath, plus a LOT of living space. The former owners used the space as a breakroom/bathroom/kitchen for their orchard workers. We bought the modular and the 2&3/4 acres that aren't in orchard.

Your pictures have really inspired me to get crackin' on the redecorating that needs done around here. The shades-of-tan dishes&vases&phony Chinese floral 1987 wallpaper in the kitchen is gawdawful. I've got the primer, I've got the paint, just been looking for the energy. I think your photos provided it.

Thanks!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
If you are going to paint in a mobile home here is my advice.

Step one-- CLEAN THE WALLS. I used greased lightning but you can use vinegar and water or you can get special paint prep at Lowes and it is not that expensive. I used that first and when I ran out I went to the greased lightning cause that's what I had.

Step two-- prime the walls with a LIGHT coat of primer. Trust me on this one....don't go crazy with the primer. I used Valspar premium from Lowes. It was expensive but it was worth it. This stuff will even adhere to tile.

Step three--- let the primer dry completely. Don't rush it...give it at least 24-36 hours to soak into the wallboard.

Step four---paint the first coat and let it completely dry for 24 hours and then follow up with a second coat if needed

If you have any furring strips on the walls you have 2 options. the first option and the easiest is to leave them on the wall and paint over them. That is what we did and it was much easier.
Your second option is to remove the strips, mud and tape and sand the gaps and then paint over it. You may have some unevenness with the texture though. Some people have put a textured paint over it or even put a handfull of sand into a gallon of paint so that there is some even texture on the walls. Others have done a venetian plaster type treatment with success.

The biggest thing is getting the walls clean first. If there is any dirt or residue on the walls the paint will peel off so you are wise to spend the extra time and effort in cleaning them first.

You'll be amazed at what a coat of paint can do!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Wow! What an amazing makeover! I especially love the floors and the fireplace surround. You have worked amazingly hard and now you get to reap the benefits! :ya

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looks really nice, I love the stone foundation and the interior looks modern and fresh, GREAT JOB!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:clap Wow,Lori the whole thing looks fantastic. The kitchen is so bright and air with the cabinets painted. The stone work on the foundation is lovely. The kiddos look so happy.

Can I ask about the poles you used for the fencing. Are they treated? Are they in the dirt or concrete? I want the same fence but am not sure what to do.

Everything looks great.

gina

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My husband got the poles at lowes, I think. Or maybe at a local lumber supply down the road. I think they are treated, they'd better be. They are 8ft I think and they are not set in concrete but are buried at least 2-2 1/2 feet in the ground. We dug with an auger. I don't know what they are but they are really light.....my 5 yr old could carry a whole one by himself. You could check at Lowes, their prices weren't bad and they will usually give you a discount if you get a whole pallet.

We made the gate out of 2x4 treated lumber and 2x2s across the top with fencing over it. We made it 6 feet so that hubby could get the lawnmower in there if needed. Now the wooded part is stapled to the existing trees and supplimented with the green stake thingys.

TSC has some 16ft 2x6s that we are going to attach across the top and bottom and attach the fencing. If we get 2 nigis we'll run electric on the inside of their pen and make a sturdier gate for them in a different spot. He got a whole truckload of them and we have so many left that we could sell some of the leftovers and make some money back. Still have to fence in my garden spot though.

Latest posts