Remodeling a doublewide (PIC HEAVY--NEW PICS!)

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is that wood flooring you put throughout?

I love wood flooring, and if it is becareful if you have dogs. They can ruin it.

We will be putting some in our new house and no dogs will be allowed in the wooded areas.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Nope, the flooring is laminate. We have a love/hate relationship with it :p It is pretty durable but the dark color shows every smudge. I don't care though, I love it. Hubby was very pleased with the bathrooms. Now....we have to finish the fireplace. :rolleyes:

We have labs and the floor has held up pretty well. Easy to clean....vinegar and water.

Thanks everyone, I really wanted everyone to see what a little paint can do to a trailer. Everyone that I have talked to thinks that you are stuck with the decor inside a trailer and that is just not the case! There are lots of things you can do that don't cost a lot. Painting the kitchen cabinets did wonders for this place. Adding ceiling fans was a simple easy solution that has helped with the electric bill. After I cut off the air conditioning for the most part and opened the windows and cut on the ceiling fans our electric bill dropped $30!

I also turned down the thermostat on the hot water heater....I discovered it was set on 160 degrees!!! Yikes....turned that down to 130....sure that will help with next months bill.

Here's a tip for those that are going out of town or selling a house....flip the breaker to the hot water heater off if you are going to be gone for more than 4-5 days. Why pay to heat it when you are gone or selling a house.

I mainly did this thread to inspire people to make simple, low cost changes to reinvent their spaces...especially people that are in trailers cause no one thinks it can be done.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Its looking so good Lori. Be sure to post pics of the fireplace. Can't wait to see it finished.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay folks.....here's some new pics!

We added a fire pit out back, complete with homemade benches
100_3766.jpg

And the fireplace is done!!!
Here is hercules (aka, DH) ripping out the old fake stone fireplace with ugly mantel
100_2904.jpg

and here is the new fireplace that we built ourselves and we even laid the glass tiles ourselves!!!
100_3770.jpg

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
krzybo said:
You are doing a great job. We live in a mobile home also. Did you caulk around the "wall strips" before painting the room? I want to make them disappear as much as possible.
What we did was, we removed the strips entirely & filled them in with dry wall mud. We also did a thin layer of mud over the whole wall so the paint would stick better (we had that shiny wallpaper crap). My BIL & SIL did the same with their MH. You can't even tell it's a trailer on the inside. :D

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My MIL did the same thing with her old doublewide and we knew that it would take forever to do the whole house that way so we just painted over the strips. I hardly even notice them anymore.

If we had had more time we might have done it that way but we were under some pressure to get it done so we could get our other house on the market.