removing screws from deck boards

robren

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm new here, but have been eavesdropping for a while...
Does anyone have a tool or idea of how to remove screws from deck boards? They are Phillips head screws and are countersunk pretty deep. The screws are rusted so the heads I can get a bite on just break and spin. I'd like to save the boards, but there are a lot of screws in each board (30?). Is there a tool that I can get over the screw head and nip it off? I know I can cut a groove in the screw head with a dremel, but there are A LOT of screws!! Hoping someone knows of a tool that I can sink into the wood to get around the head and just cut off.
Thanks for your help

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have never tried this, so can't say for sure that this will work. Pour vinegar on the screws, let sit, and then try to remove them.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
They make a special set of screw bits, I think its called a drill out or something. Go to your local hardware store and ask them. Also, you may be trying to get them out full drill power. Go Slow. And the vinegar idea is also a good one.

Joel ----- Where are you? This is a good question for you.

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Both ideas so far are good. The vinegar may take a long time unless it is super strong. I've used the tool 2dream is talking about. Cannot remember what it is called either but it consists of a special drill bit to drill into the head then another bit which will fit into the hole drilled and grab the screw. Works pretty good. You do have to go slow with it and use some pressure. If you really are not interested in getting the screws out and just the top boards off you may be able to get away with just drilling the heads off with a regular bit and then lifting the boards off the remaining screw shaft. Good luck.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I think it's called an easy out. I tried using one 1 time-w/out any luck. :/

robren

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys! I just got back from store, the guy there suggested to just drill the tops of the heads off. New drill bits purchased and that doesn't work. It just creates a bowl shape on top of the screw. Maybe l didn't get the correct type of bit? He did say it should cut thru the screw. But it justs cuts the bowl shape and continues to spin without cutting off the head.
I also tried cutting a slot in the top of the head with a dremel tool. When l tried to turn the screw (with a flat blade) now one half breaks off. Ugh
I want those boards so please keep thinking
THANKS!!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You've described something that can be a challenging problem, due to the fact that there will be a lot of screws. I don't have an answer that offers any guarantee (about being both simple and effective). I'll be interested to hear how the vinegar treatment may work out, if you try it.

I tried a Youtube search using the search terms removing deck boards. You might want to try this, too. Playing around with search terms might get you some info you could use.

But here is one video I came up with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLvBkOWelm8
This is a pry tool made for removing old deck boars, and doing similar jobs. This may be a sort of last-ditch method, in the case of deck board put on with screws - yet it would probably still work. If your deck joists are still in good shape, might work out okay. This would take you as far as getting the old boards off...

If you wind up with portions of screws sticking up from the joists (after screw heads break off), you might find these would come out after grabbing them with a vise-grip pliers and turning them counter-clockwise. If not, something like a zip disc on an angle grinder could be used to cut them flush with the joists. I've had to resort to these two methods in the past in similar situations that I couldn't solve otherwise.

Good luck, and let us know what works out for you.

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Can you get to the joists underneath. If so can you get a sawsall blade in or a metal cutting blade of an ossolating tool between the deck board and the joists and cut the screws. This will not necessarily help remove the screws but will get the boards off. Also if they are already really countersunk have you tried just screwing them on through?
On the drilling the heads off try a bigger bit.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream said:
They make a special set of screw bits, I think its called a drill out or something. Go to your local hardware store and ask them. Also, you may be trying to get them out full drill power. Go Slow. And the vinegar idea is also a good one.

Joel ----- Where are you? This is a good question for you.
Well they are called screw extractors and you want to use slow speed, high torque when using them. A power screwdriver works better than a drill. They usually have a hex head and with the right socket you can put a wrench on them once set in the metal of the screw to be removed. carefull you don't want to snap the teath of the screw extractor. Vinegar may help on common galvanized screws because it will eat the zinc coating giving you a slightly smaller screw No help that I could see on Sarinless steel or cement coated screws. I am working on a project where I am flipping over old deck boards to extend their life. I had to move up to a bigger screw to pit them down again. once the rain stops and they have some time to dry they will be stained and sealed deck should look like new except for some odd screw holes to be plugged before stain amd seal.

robren

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello again
Well after about 1 hr I finally got one board up. I have 21 more boards to go. I'm using the dremel tool and cutting a slot in each screw. The first couple split the screw head and one half was coming off the screw. I found I was cutting the slot too deep. Things are moving better now. Hoping to get a pry bar under the next board to stress the screws to snap quicker. The screws are snapping at varying lengths.I am trying the vinegar on board numbers 20 and 21. Just white vinegar right?? I'll let it soak in over night and maybe for a couple more hours tomorrow while I attack boards 2 and 3.

I can't get under the deck for the sawsall suggestion, and won't be able to fit the tool in between without removing a few more boards.
I'm probably heading back to the store for more cutting blades and I'll check the price and useage of the easy out tool.
I would like to find a use for the deck boards and the joists are in real good shape. Getting rid of that portion of deck.
I'll continue to report my progress if you'd like to hear about it.
Thank you for all the input