removing screws from deck boards

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was thinking that maybe that some penetrating oil(for removing rusted bolts and such) might work too.. put a couple drops on each countersunk screws and then take them out the next day.. I'm also wondering if even WD-40 would work.

robren

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi again
Back with an update on the board removal, while my battery charges.... I wanted to let you know the VINEGAR worked!! All the screws I applied a bit of vinegar to all snapped really easy. Now i just have to after the screws that I couldn't get with the regular Phillips head and cut a slot in them with the dremel tool. It's still slow going but the vinegar seemed to cause alot of the heads to break -- so less to fool with.
Thanks again for all the suggestions!!!

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are making progress.
So what's that now 1005 uses for vinegar? It's almost exceeding duct tape.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I got the vinegar idea from a link I posted on here-45 uses for vinegar. :lol: Glad to hear that it worked. I'll probably be trying it myself.

neselaine

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I hate Philips screws, but haven't found a good alternative till now. Check out Outlaw Fasteners. They claim to not strip, slip or wobble off the bit. Looks like it would really work. Here's the link: bit.ly/outlawscrews

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Once you have a board or two up, a reciprocating saw might be helpful. You can also use a hacksaw---the kind you find in the plumping section with the blade unsupported at the far end.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For anybody with this problem, check out your hardware store and look for drill bits that remove stripped screws. I live in a 100 yo house and we encounter stripped screws here and there and often. Glad you got your out. I'm gonna have to try vinegar bc I use it for a LOT of other things.

sleuth

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What about using a grinder or oscillating tool to simply cut the screws off??

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Drilling out occured to me as a good idea.... If you drilled the screw as deeply as you can you should be able to pop the board off removing the head of the screw in the process.

Once you get one or two boards off you should be able to get a saws all under neath and remove the rest... That is by far your least effort option. Once the boards are free from attachment you can use a flat surfaced round punch to punch them out with a hammer. Even if there are a few screw threads left.

Another way to coax the screws out is to cut the head off a nail and put the pointed end into a drill press. Then slide the board through on the press table. No need to turn the drill press on because you are using the wheel on the side to punch the screw out. Go slow support your work.

deb