Rendering Lard

plucky

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We just had two pigs butchered, and for the first time I'm saving the fat to render into lard. The butcher has already ground it for me, too. From what I've gleaned from Grandma and the internet, it's pretty straight forward and simple. But I'm wondering, has anyone else rendered? Any nasty surprises or things you would've done differently?

Grandma suggested doing most if it outside, but I know lots of people do it in their kitchens. I'm planning on using my large dutch oven and the charcoal grill. Thanks!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I never have done this, but I sure would like to try!

Wondering if I can talk hubby into getting a hog for butchering!

chiknmama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'll be saving this thread, too, because I intend to get a pig sometime next year (or buy one ready to process this fall) and I want that lard!!!

I did see an antique lard press at a yard sale - was in good shape, but I am wondeing if ya really need one. Never really had pigs before, so I don't know a thing about how to get lard processed.

Peace -
Meriah

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
So....Plucky...what are you going to do with your lard? Make soap? Waterproof your boots? Make some suet? Cook with it? How will you store it? Freezer? Tell us everything!!! :D

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lard totally makes the best pie crust ever. My wife's grandmother makes all her crusts with lard and doesn't tell anyone, so don't you go telling my vegetarian sister-in-law... because she really really loves her grandma's pies.

plucky

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
LOL...ScottyG, I won't tell your vegie sis... :D

But my whole family and my hubby's family all swear by home-rendered lard pie crusts, so I'm eager to try. We picked up our pork today (we found out just how much frozen pork you can stuff into a Prius), and there's a LOT of fat (one pig was a real fatty...a "lard butt" so to speak), so I should get plenty of practice in rendering.

Saturday is "rendering day", so I'll try to post an update, hopefully on the success of the process.:fl

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am picking up our weekly processed hog this morning....now to put all those coolers in the back of the truck and lug that sucker home...Ugh

we package fatback and sell it to the customers.

best of luck on your rendering! Nothing like fresh pork...YUMMY....I haven't bought pork in the store for about 15 years. Don't miss it..LOL

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Ok, so now I want the recipe for the pie crust!! I have a large container of lard from a hog we had processed....anyone? anyone???? PM it to me or post it pleeeeeaaaase!! ;)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I have used lard in a pie crust before - but my oil crust comes out so much better... perhaps I need to try a lard one again.

Latest posts