Restoring/rescuing a 100+ year old shed. Am I nuts?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Getting there… I have a massive pile of junk outside now (looking at skips at the moment), but inside I'm winning. If I can blow that tree up now, it'd be great… lol Look at those dang roots! Those things are making things difficult for me in there.

I'm working where the yellow bucket is today, back towards the back wall.

IMG_1589.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@baymule, that is what I keep thinking of, I picture it cleaned up with a roof and window and door, looking good and functional again. I've come a long way since the start when we couldn't get in there easily, for tree branches. I don't have a big area left to clean now, I just need to keep at it and get it done. Yesterday was a miserable day weather wise and I didn't feel like working, so I went to Cashel to go look at the rock. That was pretty cool. Today is sunny and lovely and I need to get my buns out there and back to work.

Nardo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm making good progress on the area behind the tree, not helped by the narrow space invaded by the inevitable tree roots. I'm slowly cleaning that area as well as under the tree as best I can, trying to clear the bigger roots for when I will hopefully have the loan of a chainsaw again soon :)

Had another spooky incident there :\ I was clearing out rubbish (rusted tins, stones, smaller roots, broken glass and bottles) when I smelled incense. The smell was quite strong and it bothered me a little as I dislike incense. At the same time I saw what I at first thought was smoke, before realising it's my breath going foggy, like it does when it's cold out. Except it wasn't cold out… I got up and looked around for the source of the smell, but couldn't find anything, checked the temperature on my skin, being puzzled by my breath showing like that, but it didn't FEEL cold. In fact it was quite a mild day out. After about a minute it stopped, the smell disappeared and everything returned to "normal". I dug around the spot paying closer attention to see if I can find the source of the smell, but nothing showed up :hu That unnerved me a little bit.
So first a disclaimer: I'm from New Orleans. Now my reply. Be Careful. Maybe the tree got it's feelings hurt. :huI forget what you were going to use the shed for? Maybe make that use clear and public if you may have any eavesdroppers. Hate to sound like a goof. . .

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Some "update" pics… I'm finally done with the area behind the tree. Working towards the door now, where I left my bucket. There is a rather huge stone there, with the inevitable tree roots, which I'm probably going to need some help with.

IMG_1643.jpg
IMG_1644.jpg
IMG_1645.jpg
IMG_1646.jpg
IMG_1639.jpg
IMG_1640.jpg
IMG_1641.jpg
IMG_1642.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I've gone down more than 2 feet in most of the shed now. When I'm in there working, the walls are way higher than my head :) I'm probably going to clear the door and outside there, lower the ground level, so I can get the roots out and make space to open the door outwards, etc. Level the floor inside and take the last few inches of rubbish and dirt out, clear the tree as best I can so we can safely chainsaw trim it and then see about putting down a proper floor and the rest…

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What a great life! But then, aren’t we all having a great life? Sharing what we do daily, acknowledgement of our efforts from the cheering section, that’s what makes this site so special!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WOW, Sumi!!!! You weren't kidding about that tree...it's huge!!! That's one ambitious project but I can tell you are having some fun with it. Wish I could help you on it...work is much more fun when its shared.

I second this!!

And agree with Bay....sometimes the sharing helps make the effort worth while!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Update :) I have a wonderful helper and he's winning with the tree!

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

The junk grown into the tree is causing problems, as expected, and limits us in what we can safely use to cut it, so the plan for now is to remove the top half and then possibly leave the bottom and kill it. I can use it for something…

The next step, after the tree is out, is the roof, which is kinda essential! lol Then the door and window. I love the space of the shed, now the tree is smaller. It's a lovely size building. This has been a mad project, but looking at it now, I'd say it was worth it :)