Reusing baby stuff--any good ideas?

msrma7670

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have 4 children, the youngest being a 4 month old. I do not know about everyone else, but I have a ton of baby stuff other than toys and clothes. For example: receiving blankets. I must have 10-15. They out grow them so fast. I am now using them for burp rags and I have threatened my husband that I am going to cut them up for him to use as hankeys-at least around the house. I also have a lot of small hooded towels and rags. Other than using them for burp rags does anyone have any ideas about what else I could do with them. And of course glass baby food jars. Yes you can use a few for putting stuff in, but in 1 year you use way more than you would ever have stuff to go back in them. We do not have a place near by for recycling glass. Thanks for any ideas.:D

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made a blanket for the kids once using cut up blocks from all the receiving blankets (as its backing) right now I am making a jean and leftover military uniforms blanket. The towels I threw out to the shop for my hubby who has long since used them all and with current towels no longer fit for bodies I use as dog wash/bedding for them. I personally love that size for storage or maybe a friend who beads would love them. I never bought the baby food jars to be honest, I made all my own baby food. Offer them on craigslists or freecycle, someone will take them. I am sure others will have better/more suggestions :)
*forgot to add the local shelters a lot of the time will take the blanket also for people in need.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
My first suggestion would be charities. Womens' shelters, support groups for pregnant teenagers, that sort of thing, can often really use blankets and clothes and suchlike in good condition. Why not pass the stuff on to people who can really use it for THEIR new babies :)

Other uses for extra recieving blankets and baby towels: good to keep a couple in the car for Unexpected Messes; put one in the change bag as a change pad; donate to local animal shelter, as they are almost always in major need of fresh towels etc; or just save as household rags and dusting cloths, which they're exceptionally good for. (Not as good as well-broken-in plain rectangular cloth diapers are, but still really good).

Baby food jars (p.s. - see ScottyG's thread on making your own babyfood... ;)): use for storing spices in, and dried herbs; mix up a batch of a dry rub or other seasoning mix, pretty up the lid and attach a nice label, and voila a christmas present; nail the lids in a row to the UNDERSIDE of a shelf in the garage or workshop, and use the jars for storage of screws and hose-washers and other little things (they hang suspended from the underside of the shelf once you screw them onto the lids you affixed there); and they make good temporary observation jars for small insects etc.

Have fun,

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
baby food jars. Use for screws, small nails, any tool supplies and small bobs in the garage. Also you can nail the lid to under a wood shelf, then screw the jar onto the lid. Hanging baby food jar with screws of whatever....then just twist and get a nail if you need one. saves shelf space.

baby food jars. re-use for homemade Christmas gifts. Like put hot cocoa in one, mini marshmellows in another and maybe some specialty coffee in another and put in box and give as a set. You have to decorate the lid like with a sticker to hide the label on top...then put bow around it with fabric or whatever. But they are good for that.

OR - you can get bath ingredients in bulk, make bath sets in small jars and decorate and give as presents. you save money buying bulk and repackage and gift.

towels I cut into garage rags. or give to someone who might need them or if in good shape donate to goodwill

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hang on to some receiving blankets. You will be surprised how useful they can be. Pet blankets, doll blankets, wrapping delicate things in and polishing things.

Baby food jars are good for storing dried fruit and seeds for the next year.

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you have access to a serger, you could cut the receiving blankets into squares, serge the edges, and use them as re-usable baby wipes. I keep a whole mess of cloth squares in one of those "wipes warmer" things than somebody bought us at our baby shower. Just soak through with water and a little inexpensive "wipe juice concentrate" (lots of recipes for this out there, as well as companies selling it... look at cloth diapering websites for these) and voila! Baby wipes! Just wash 'em in the machine when you run out, and no need to buy wipes ever again.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Sorry that I can't think of anything for the blankets besides St. Vinny's or Goodwill.

Regarding baby food, make your own :) I did for my 2 kids and froze pureed food in ice cube trays--no glass jars! See ScottyG's thread (as already mentioned). WAY cheaper and more self sufficient, too!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just make sure you don't give away those rubber pads that you put under the crib mattress. Those things have a zillion uses. My youngest "baby" is seven and I still use them when the stomach flu hits, when I have to take something messy in the car, for pets.....

I gave away (or sold on consignment) all of the decent clothes and equipment. I mop the floor with the cloth diapers. The carseats are a problem though. Goodwill won't take them. You really have to ask around to find someone who can use one. We luckily had a man come to install some carpet and we had the seat sitting in the garage. He looked a little embarrassed when he asked if he could have it but we were SO glad to give it to someone who needed it. :)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
If you have a preschool nearby they would most likely take the babyfood jars off your hands.
With a little bit of felt & a jingle bell the jars can be turned into Santas filled with candy.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea so many baby things can be gifted
they are in good shape and so many people can use them

Barb is having a grandbaby come April or so....I am giving her my infant car seat I hung onto in great shape...along with some toys and other baby things.

So best to find someone needing things.