Reusing baby stuff--any good ideas?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
A word about reusing car seats -- they depend on the structural integrity of the plastic in order to provide their intended safety in case of a crash, and the plastic does not age well. Like riding or bicycle helmets.

I believe the recommendation is not to use a car seat older than 5 (??) yrs old (I don't honestly remember the exact number, your manual should have that information in it, but it is something on that order) because you lose assurance as to its behavior in the event of a crash.

Just a thought,

Pat

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
A word about reusing car seats -- they depend on the structural integrity of the plastic in order to provide their intended safety in case of a crash, and the plastic does not age well. Like riding or bicycle helmets.

I believe the recommendation is not to use a car seat older than 5 (??) yrs old (I don't honestly remember the exact number, your manual should have that information in it, but it is something on that order) because you lose assurance as to its behavior in the event of a crash.

Just a thought,

Pat
I've heard this too, someone told me that they have some sort of expiration date on them now. (Although not having needed one in quite a while I haven't bothered to verify whether or not this is true.)

The one we gave away was only two years old and to my knowledge had NEVER been vomited in. :)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our have a label that say throw out after 5 years on the boosters and the good quality baby ones we had said 7.
I have sold them at garage sales and stated they have never been compromised and also tell them to call and make sure there have been no recalls on baby items. There is a number on the carseat or internet if label is missing.

greenrootsmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Our baby is almost a year old now but we have a new one coming in June so I haven't recycled or re-homed any of the baby stuff. Some ideas I had for the receiving blankets (I have about 3 dozen of them) was to make fitted cloth diapers once the new baby outgrows them for their intended use. I also have an old set of flannel sheets that I intend to make diapers out of as well. With two so close together in age I'm going to need a LOT more diapers. LOL.

We have a few baby food jars. I can't justify spending the money on baby food when I can whip up something healthier and much more tasty in my own kitchen. I did go out and buy a few so that I could have the jars to store my home-made baby food in. I don't like the idea of storing any kind of food in BP-A plastics, especially for baby so the little jars are wonderful for that. I can freeze them or just set them in the fridge. The ones that make it through both babies will end up holding craft items or some other practical use.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
You might donate quite a few items to your local animal shelter.
I foster kittens and puppies for our local Humane Society. I use diapers, baby washcloths and all kinds of baby blankets for these four legged babies. I also use baby toys. The kittens especially love the baby activity gym I picked up at a second hand store. The fact that you can hang toys on them makes it perfect for kitten play.
I also have to mix up formula for the babies and store it in small glass jars, since you can only mix up a small batch at a time. It is easy to microwave the formula in the glass jars for the next feeding.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Those blankets have a zillion uses! I turned some into larger "couch" blankets, used some for cage blankets and turned several over the years into mittens and hats and scarves! Doubled over they are exactly the same as store bought mittens and hats and the kids don't recognize them at all! :p

We made some into doll clothes and one day one turned into ponchos for child and her favorite stuffed animal! The poncho is incredibly easy to make!!!

DH carries a small square in his pocket to clean his glasses and I have one each in the trunks of our cars for emergencies.

You got me thinking now, I wish I had more!! :lol:

Dixiedoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I kept all those flannel/recieving baby blankets.I I placed two together-face wrong sides together and sewed them together, then when the girls were in their teens (and coming of age),They used them under their sheets--it saved our mattress.

Make heating pad, hot water bottle or ice pack covers, cut them down to make blankets/ clothes for dolls,
make pillow cases from them--great in winter! I used them for car pillows-easy to wash..

Latest posts