Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love nuts and seeds big time.

here is a pumpkin seed recipe for anyone..just thought I'd throw it out there.

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Ingredients:

4 1/4 cups raw pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 teaspoon salt
16 clear plastic bags or 6-inch-square pieces of colored cellophane wrap
Ribbon

Steps:

1. Plan on using the seeds from about four pumpkins for this recipe. If you don't have enough, ask your friends to share the seeds from their pumpkins with you.

2. In a medium mixing bowl combine pumpkin seeds, cooking oil, and salt. Spread mixture onto a waxed-paper-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Let stand for 24 to 48 hours or till dry, stirring occasionally.

3. Remove waxed paper from baking pan. Toast seed in a 325 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring once or twice. Let cool slightly. Pat seeds with paper towels to remove excess oil.

4. Package 1/4 cup of the seeds in each bag or place seeds in the center of cellophane wrap, then bring up edges. Tie closed with the ribbon. Makes 16 (1/4 cup) servings.

Tip: Use this crunchy snack for prizes in a pumpkin race. Divide the kids into two groups. Give each group a pumpkin and have the kids race by rolling the pumpkin with their feet, hands, or noses.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the day after halloween the stores practically give pumpkins away.
good deals!

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a GREAT recipe for roasted pumpkin seeds, but it is on my broken computer!!! Have to see if I can find it online somewhere....

This looks like the recipe I use, but I can't be 100% sure:

Ingredients
Makes 1 cup
Seeds from one medium pumpkin
5 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch of cayenne pepper, to taste
1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil

Directions
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread seeds on parchment in an even layer. Bake until dry, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Let cool.

In a medium bowl combine 3 tablespoons sugar, salt, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, and cayenne. Heat peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add pumpkin seeds and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Cook until sugar melts and pumpkin seeds begin to caramelize, about 45 to 60 seconds. Transfer to bowl with spices, and stir well to coat. Let cool. These may be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Did you know you can flavor them with dry ranch dressing mix too? Or chili powder. I just wash mine & let them dry, coat them with olive oil & salt them lay out on a baking sheet & bake til roasted. No set amt's or times rally. It depends on how many I am roasting. Ds #1 used to like them & when I gave him a big jar of them last Christmas he informed me he really does not like them anymore. So not sure what i will do with this yrs after I roast them.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Thank you!! I am going to try this. Never roasted pumpkin seeds before!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
great recipes.

I made my cajun ....love them hot! more spicy the better! Yum

almonds are great spicy also!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I really don't care for real spicy foods. But I do like things spiced up a little bit. Don really piles on the salsa as does Scott. When I make it Scott goes nuts over it. I made a bunch of it & canned it & he raided my pantry & took a quart & a pint of it!! Oh well at least I know he still likes my food!:weee If nothing else I can get him to come out for food!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
nothing like Moms cooking HM!
gets boys home every time! LOL