Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I have never roasted pumpkin seeds before either.
I grew pumpkins this past year but I grew them for the chickens. I read somewhere that pumpkin seeds were a natural wormer for the chickens so I did not think to even find another use for the seeds. Oh well, next years pumpkin crop will see me keeping some of the seeds for myself. (Other than the few I keet to replant)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
punkin
I didn't know that. Natural wormer for chickens. Interesting...will do some research on that.

I know that pine trees are good for goats as a natural wormer in their system. I always give them Christmas trees to eat after the holidays. Not the ones that were treated with who knows what chemcials..LOL

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've heard about the wormer thing too. I heard it works for pigs. I've tried roasting pumpkin seeds too, but they never seem to taste right. I've made squash seeds though, and they were really good. When you buy pepitas in the the mexican store they don't look anything like the ones right out of a pumpkin. I think that they're hulled.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
He does his own laundry, I made sure he knew before he left home how to do it. Actually he comes home to eat & play pool now.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
mrs.puff said:
I've heard about the wormer thing too. I heard it works for pigs. I've tried roasting pumpkin seeds too, but they never seem to taste right. I've made squash seeds though, and they were really good. When you buy pepitas in the the mexican store they don't look anything like the ones right out of a pumpkin. I think that they're hulled.
The pepitas are hulled seeds. Aren't they cute? I planted a pumpkin variety this year called Lady Godiva and they have hull-less seeds, like ready-made pepitas!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have 2 types of pumpkins I am planting next yr. Lg ones for carving & selling. Then sm ones for cooking with. Yes I know more canning to come next yr. But at least I won't have to pay the outrageous prices they want in the stores & we can use the biggest one to carve if we choose!

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My boys love pumpkin seeds! Its the main reason we carve pumpkins! I know they love to get dirty and make a mess and all that stuff too!

We go to the local gocery store the day of halloween and make a deal with them to buy all the left over pumpkins the next day. I store them in my cellar with my potatoes and squash and that kind of stuff. They make great treat for the chickens, and I can cut them open and take the seeds out to roast for treats for the kids. They actually store very well!!

edited because of a silly error!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Friday night as I was dosing off Alton Brown suggested to cut the bottom of your pumpkin to remove the seeds a lot easier. So when dh & ds carve ours in the next few days I will have them do that & see if it is easier to clean it out.