rodeogirl's journey to being self-sufficient

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So I have the wonderful job of teaching my friend how to sew. She bought a sewing machine a few months ago and she has never sewn in her life. Im at a loss on what project to start her on. Considering she wants me to teach her everything from how to sew to how to embroider and cross stitch. I'm actually half tempted to find a old sampler and have her start on that.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would have her start with a simple table runner. Perhaps a log cabin with a bit of hand stitching in the center of each square.

What ever project she starts with, it needs to be something that she can appreciate and enjoy. IMO, nothing is more of a turn off in the learning experience (especially with sewing) than having to spend time, money, and effort on a project that does not have the heart involved. Is she a gardener? How bout some grow bags. Does she like to cook? How bout a pot holder, an apron, or cutting down some dish towels and putting tabs on the top so they can be attached to the fridge handle. A set of curtains? A shopping bag? The list of simple projects is endless.

What a wonderful thing you are doing. And kudos to your friend for even having the interest. So many home making skills are being lost forever b/c the younger generation would rather go shopping than take the time to make something.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am so happy she wants to learn and to be honist I have been getting a little bored sitting at home all day I need something to do. To add to the fun my little man wants to learn now as well. I was planning on teaching him anyways but now at least he's showing some interest.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Great find on the glider!

Teaching your friend and little man to sew sounds like a nice pastime. Lazy Gardener gave you some good ideas there. I can't use a sewing machine to save my life, I hand stitch, but I've been thinking of learning to sew with a sewing machine. Much quicker!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sumi, what seems to be your problem with the sewing machine? Perhaps it's just something as simple as:

It needs a good cleaning and oiling.

The machine OR bobbin tension needs to be adjusted.

It's not threaded right.

The feed dogs are not up.

You're not holding the thread coming from the top, AND the bobbin thread when you start your first few stitches. If you don't manually tension these threads, they will knot up and make it impossible to start a good seam.

Perhaps you're afraid to "give it enough gas" to get started on your seam.

What brand of machine do you have?

Perhaps start a new THREAD (pun intended) and we'll try to help you problem solve!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sumi, what seems to be your problem with the sewing machine? Perhaps it's just something as simple as:

It needs a good cleaning and oiling.

The machine OR bobbin tension needs to be adjusted.

It's not threaded right.

The feed dogs are not up.

You're not holding the thread coming from the top, AND the bobbin thread when you start your first few stitches. If you don't manually tension these threads, they will knot up and make it impossible to start a good seam.

Perhaps you're afraid to "give it enough gas" to get started on your seam.

What brand of machine do you have?

Perhaps start a new THREAD (pun intended) and we'll try to help you problem solve!
Ehh, ALL of the above :hide

I think my biggest problem is/was a home economics teacher in high school that didn't have the patience to teach me properly and ditto my mother, who sewed all the time, but lacked patience in the teaching department herself. Result: me getting confused and frustrated with the machine and where on earth is the thread meant to be going?!?! and just saying sod this then...

I haven't touched a sewing machine since my teens and didn't sew anything until my late 20's when I fell in love with a quilt a neighbour made and asked her to show me how to make them. Hand stitched of course!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Got the manual that goes with the machine? It should have good instructions for: cleaning, oiling, threading, tension adjustment. All of these tasks are very straight forward, and can easily be learned. It may take you 1/2 hour to clean and oil the first time, when you are learning. After that, it can be done in 10 minutes. As for tension adjustment, you just need to play around with it until you get top and bottom threads that are pulling through the cloth layers to intersect in the middle. Very often, folks have their tension too tight. A good seam will not have bobbin thread showing at the top, nor top thread showing at the bottom. When you separate the seam to look in the middle, you should see the top and bottom thread meeting there. It helps to use different colored threads for top and bottom when adjusting tension to make it easier to see what is happening. A good seam should not pucker. If it does, the overall tension is too tight. Bobbin tension is simply a matter of tightening or loosening a single screw. Top tension is usually adjusted with a numbered dial at the top of the machine over the needle.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Many craft or fabric stores have free group lessons. These lessons are usually an hour, and well worth it to help the novice gain some self confidence. Of course, that may not be the case in Ireland. If so, you'll just have to come to the states for a visit!!!