rodeogirl's journey to being self-sufficient

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'll have to look at the sight.
I pulled a couple of radishes out of the garden amd cut some lettus. I still don't know how they tast I gave thim to my sister in law becouse hers havent came in yet.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The joys of summer I want to make a stew or soup so badly but its too hot. I have also come to the conclusion that my little mans garden has enough nitrogen in the soil or at least in the area of the radishes. The greens of them are huge and i have these tiny little radishes on the end.
I also think I'm going to start selling bread. I already got one customer it's one of my friends but it's a start. I'm thinking of selling them for $2 a loaf that would cover the cost of making it with about a dollar income for me.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would take a look at what the artisan breads are selling for at your local grocer, and sell for that price, or perhaps just a bit more. It all depends on what your local market is, and how tight your target customers are with their dollars! If you can't cover your time, energy and material costs AND make a profit, I would not consider it to be worth doing.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If you want to be sure your price is right,
1) calculate the cost of the ingredients, per loaf (yep, it's a PITA)
2) calculate the cost of packaging, per loaf
3) calculate the amount of time in minutes you spend on baking and cleaning up, per loaf (another PITA)
4) calculate the amount of time in minutes you would spend on communicating with buyers, and delivering/being available for pickup, per loaf
5) take your desired hourly pay, times 20%, divided by 60

6) add the results of #1 and #2, multiply by 2
7) add the results of #3 and #4, multiply by the result of #5

8) add the results of #6 and #7. This is the lowest price you can charge for one loaf without losing money.

I know it's a huge PITA, but the only way to really be sure it's worth your time and effort.