rodeogirl's journey to being self-sufficient

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

We also have a couple quarters of a deer to cut and grind up. Nether one of us got a deer this year but one of our friends needed to free up space in his freezer so he gave us some of his.

deer season there is that short? our season runs quite a long time (Sep 11 - Jan 1) for various groups and methods. there's so many around the hunters don't get enough and a lot are run over (or run into) vehicles.

we keep telling people that they can come and sit in our back yard and the deer will come to them. most evenings they are wandering through.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And I'm back, but I have some news on us getting a house. Ron was talking to our landlords and they mentioned that they are thinking of selling the houses they rent out. They are wanting to sell to the people that are renting the houses. So Ron told them that we would be interested. Looks like we are going to be house owners soon.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
And I'm back, but I have some news on us getting a house. Ron was talking to our landlords and they mentioned that they are thinking of selling the houses they rent out. They are wanting to sell to the people that are renting the houses. So Ron told them that we would be interested. Looks like we are going to be house owners soon.
I hope that works out for you! It will give you so much peace of mind to own your house! :fl

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The best part of this is we will be able to get chickens now that the town allows them. So now I'm trying to figure out the best place to have them. As well as planing garden beds, fencing, walkways, and all that lovely stuff. I want to put them by the garden but were the garden is going is by the grill and fire pit. But at the same time it is one of the best places because it gets shade it's also closest to the door making them easier to take care of.

We are planing on fencing in the entire back yard. I want a privacy fence but price wise it will most likely be t-post and welded wire till we can get something better. Really all it needs to do is contain a hyper dog and his little partner in crime. This way my dog can have the run of the yard while we are at work (he is on a chain right now while I'm at work or when he goes out) and during the summer we can leave the back door open and let the kids and the dog have free run.

Garden wise apparently I am getting raised beds and the flower beds are all getting extended. The front flower bed is going to get cleaned up and i might pull it out a bit more to go along the fence. The side flower bed is going to get a more extensive extension. We are planing on ripping out the eddging and widening the bed by about a foot to the edge of the path that we are going to replace.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The best part of this is we will be able to get chickens now that the town allows them. So now I'm trying to figure out the best place to have them. As well as planing garden beds, fencing, walkways, and all that lovely stuff. I want to put them by the garden but were the garden is going is by the grill and fire pit. But at the same time it is one of the best places because it gets shade it's also closest to the door making them easier to take care of.

We are planing on fencing in the entire back yard. I want a privacy fence but price wise it will most likely be t-post and welded wire till we can get something better. Really all it needs to do is contain a hyper dog and his little partner in crime. This way my dog can have the run of the yard while we are at work (he is on a chain right now while I'm at work or when he goes out) and during the summer we can leave the back door open and let the kids and the dog have free run.

Garden wise apparently I am getting raised beds and the flower beds are all getting extended. The front flower bed is going to get cleaned up and i might pull it out a bit more to go along the fence. The side flower bed is going to get a more extensive extension. We are planing on ripping out the eddging and widening the bed by about a foot to the edge of the path that we are going to replace.

life goes much easier for bigger projects if you figure out where stuff should go before you put in other things which may block easy access. like i really wish they had brought in about 20 more dump trucks of topsoil/fill for the back area where we garden now. it's too low and is mostly clay and flash floods can be an issue. not the best site for a garden. but now there's no way to get that done and i couldn't do the work anyways. there's a lot of other things around here that are done that ways too. backwards.

the fences are required here due to deer, rabbits, etc. always make sure the fence is good enough to keep rabbits out. the 2x4 inch welded (woven is better but costs more) wire works good for everything except chipmunks and squirrels. small rabbits might squeeze through but it's very rare (usually they dig a way under because i don't have any down folded outwards which prevents easy digging). groundhogs can climb and same for raccoons but they won't usually go over a 6-7ft fence (which is the minimum range for deer around here). we have the old fence which is not rabbit or groundhog proof and it's not the best but it does keep the deer out. then i've started on the 2x4 inch welded wire and that has discouraged more deer but we don't have the area fully enclosed that i would like so they're still around at times. some year, if i stay longer term i'll finish that enclosure. i'm tired of the damage they do plus the ticks. we didn't use to find so many.

oh and as a p.s. growing things on the fence may make you think it looks nicer but it really is a pain in the butt to keep up and you do want it kept clear so the winds don't keep trying to push it over.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score

So exciting! You already know what the property needs so you can start right away when it's yours!

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I'm going to take the dog for a walk turns in to I'm going to hook my dog up to the stroller and have him pull the princess around. Now I need to figure out a cart to make so the princess can ride around her kingdom pulled by her faithful pup.
20220328_133656.jpg