ROOSMOM'S JOURNAL

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WOW, is it cold outside, and it is cold in the house. Thermometer registers 50 in the house. I put wood in the stove outside too while I was out there. I will check it in a few minutes and add more.
Now that the office christmas party is done, I will start on the eggs for my inlaws. And I am going to make some more chocolate covered cranberries.
My poor chickens. so cold.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh roos I feel for you. that is downright rough and nasty!
We are hitting the 60s today and I am getting ready to hang out the laundry. I could see yours on the line...frozen stiff to the core..HA HA....sorry I wish I could send some warmer weather your way.

Are you all set for Thurs. Christmas day is coming fast. I am done and I love that. All wrapped and finsihed.

Only thing I have to do is get some sweet potatoes at the store on Wed. Having Christmas Eve dinner here with his parents....having ribs and bbq chicken. No one wants turkey...LOL..which is fine with me.

Today is last day of hunting. Tony at the market but I think he might muster up energy to try this afternoon. Never got one, he missed alot of days to hunt cause he didn't feel well. I know it killed him cause he wanted to get one so bad! Ugh

So what's new.....other than you are freezing your ca-hoonies off??

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Brrrrrr.....Glad I am here and not there. Maybe that is why I live in Mississippi instead of up north. LOL I hate cold weather. I like short spurts of cold for a change but not long term. LOL.

But then again I also hate it when we have 2 weeks straight of rain. ummm Maybe I need to move to Barbados. I hear they have great weather year round. LOL

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
WOW!! That is freezing!!!! I thought NE Ohio was COLD!! -18 is insane!!!! Stay warm and keep that fire going!

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do not know how you or anything can survive that? Amazing. Or that electricity, water, etc. still works.

I hope your chickens are okay....What kind of heat source do you have for them? It probably make my little ones seem like wimps when it's 40 degrees in our pet area inside at night....the best I can do.....So far so good.....

Take care, stay warm as you can....
Tina/tfpets

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
At around 930am when the sun hit the thermometer it jumped up to 15 degrees. Now at about 530pm it is zero out. Thank you all for your warm wishes sent this way. If I didnt need the insurance my job provides then I would move.....period.
FC, I am sorry Tony didnt get a deer. Sometimes if you dont get them opening day then you dont get a shot. If I could send you a jar of venison I would.
2dream, I researched rea estate in the warm south pacific islands, when can you bbe ready to go?? :D
PP that fire has been going full tilt all day. At some point it got up to 65 in here. But once you get chilled to the bone there is no warming you up :(
Tfpets, up here most houses are ok with the cold...unless you live in a mobile home or a very poorly insulated crawlspace. I went and broke up the ice in the waterer. This afternoon I lowered the ceiling with a tarp and put a red heat bulb under the lowered ceiling. Here are some pics The first is the run, after I had to kick the birds out so I could work in the coop. This is enclosed in plastic to cut the wind and covered with a tarp to keep out the snow.
316_pdr_1020.jpg
[/img]

this is the lowered ceiling in the coop with the red light
316_pdr_1022.jpg
[/img]

this is bob with his now frost bitten tips on his comb :(
316_pdr_1006.jpg
[/img]

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow roos
I never saw frost bite comb
will he be fine? being down here I don't have those temps or have those winter critter problems at all.

never thought about it actually....wild.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Let me grab a change of clothes and book my flight and I am ready. If planes are flying in your area meet me in Barbados Christmas Day. How is that for ready to go?

I am printing out your pics and using them as posters in my chicken house. Going to show my girls and guys what a good life they have.

My DH thinks I am crazy because I panic everytime the temps get below 32 (which is not often) and run out and turn the heat lamps on for my chickens. Now I have to agree with him. My birds don't have a clue what cold is. LOL

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FC, I am hoping they will come back. I think the black parts are gone forever. They will have smaller points on the combs.
They really dont like it when I touch the combs to put on more vaseline, that is why I know it is painful for them.
2dream, The closest airport is two hours away. Yes they are still flying.
But it will mean massive layovers for me, do I think it is worth it? Yes I do, But I dont know if I can get them all vaccinated in time to leave.
Where there is a will there is a way.

How many travel doggie carriers will I need? I have 41 chickens..........:lol:

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
roosmom said:
How many travel doggie carriers will I need? I have 41 chickens..........:lol:
Lets see, I have 50 +/- chickens of which 8 are roos. 2 birds per carrier = 25 carriers for me and if you get 1 big pet carrier that will hold 3 chickens you can get by with 20.

With all that in mind I am thinking it might be best to charter a private drug smuggling plane and pilot. That way we can forgo the quarantine time and vaccinations. This will also eliminate those nasty layovers. I will get to work on that immediately since I live close to the Southern coast and we will just fly up and pick you up. To heck with the cost. We will pay in eggs. LOL