Rooster in bound!!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I couldn't go back into city living again. While I may wind down the numbers of livestock (have been) it is not in my lifestyle to be with "none". My chickens are out there waiting for me now.

Roos.......I have several. Some pure, some hybrid the only ones who are aggressive are the white leghorns. They will be in the stew pot in about a month. My Auracanas, Marans, Orps & the other hybrids (marans/crème legbar/auracana) are very good.
One meets me at the fence and walks with me, talking all the while! He's so sweet. These are all larger birds. And I found that when one of the leghorn cockrels got out, he was shown that his attitude was NOT being tolerated. He was almost ready for the stew pot that day and could hardly wait to get back into his pen!! So, depends on many things. Mine are good, even when penned with other "bachelors".

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The far two are buff orpengton, the closest one is a buff orpengton & Rhode island red mix. The mixed one is my granddaughter's - she loves that rooster.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've kept chickens in town and I've also seen folks who keep chickens in town....there's a right way and a wrong way and mostly I see the wrong way, which certainly does paint the rest of us with the same brush, so I can definitely sympathize with the city folks on how they feel about chickens.

I don't see a problem with folks keeping some chickens if they have room, if they keep their habitat healthy and clean, if they don't overcrowd the living area and they are considerate to their neighbors(letting the chickens tear up the neighbor's landscaping because you just can't keep them in the fence? Not an option. Nor is having a rooster that crows all the time, no more than it's okay to have a dog that barks all the time).

A rooster, unlike a dog, can not really be trained to never crow, especially at four dark thirty in the morning, so I don't see the point of having them in town. They are guaranteed to antagonize the neighbors and if the flock size is limited by ordinance, one has to ask why one is then breeding? It creates all sorts of problems like what to do with the extra roosters that hatch, what to do with an expanding flock when they won't let you butcher in city limits, etc.

That leads me to ask....why are you getting a rooster? Gonna cause a lot of problems for you.

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Beekissed I've already talked to the other homeowner that lives next door and shes fine with the rooster. They have their own fenced run that keeps them contained, and we plan on fencing in the entire backyard by the end of next summer so clipped wings and sturdy gate locks will keep them in our own yard when free-ranging (supervised of course). Plus there's at least 4 roosters living in town that I'm aware of. His job will be protecting his flock, I've lost a bird to snakes and I'm constantly chasing off stray cats from my shed that's attached to my coop. I do intend to sell fertilized eggs but not raise chicks or allow brooding unless I have a buyer that doesn't particularly want to hatch them themselves.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan then....long as your neighbors don't mind a crowing rooster, you're golden. Word to the wise....clipped wings may not do the trick. I've had chickens that mounted up to 6 ft. roosts with clipped wings. Extending fencing material or stringing a wire 6-8 in. beyond any solid surface like fence tops or gate tops can help keep them in even without clipping the wings.