Roosters are strange

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sounds very different for a guy who doesn't cook very well. I was hoping for a whole chicken in a jar recipe.
View attachment 7116 could I do the with big jars and PC?

You could do that, but it would waste a lot of your meat. The very fine bones in the chicken do not can up so well and tend to crumble when you try to get the meat off them...pretty soon you have a handful of bone crumbles mixed with meat and you can't get them separated. The only bones that can well are the larger ones like leg bones.

I've tried canning bone in and without the bone and I can tell you, it's worth the time to debone prior to canning...you get to keep more of your meat and the meat cans up a little more firm when you cut it into bite sized pieces...looks better in your recipes.

I'd say, try it both ways and see how you like the end product. I guarantee you AND your wife will love the ease of opening that jar and not having to separate bone from meat and also the little discs of gristle that do not soften in the canning process. Plus, when canning without the bone, you don't waste jar space...every jar is 100% packed full of meat.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You could do that, but it would waste a lot of your meat. The very fine bones in the chicken do not can up so well and tend to crumble when you try to get the meat off them...pretty soon you have a handful of bone crumbles mixed with meat and you can't get them separated. The only bones that can well are the larger ones like leg bones.

I've tried canning bone in and without the bone and I can tell you, it's worth the time to debone prior to canning...you get to keep more of your meat and the meat cans up a little more firm when you cut it into bite sized pieces...looks better in your recipes.

I'd say, try it both ways and see how you like the end product. I guarantee you AND your wife will love the ease of opening that jar and not having to separate bone from meat and also the little discs of gristle that do not soften in the canning process. Plus, when canning without the bone, you don't waste jar space...every jar is 100% packed full of meat.

Well can't argue with experience. that's why I really like this site - so much knowledge and everyone seems very willing to share their knowledge. When it come to cooking I'm not all that and I'll be the first to admit it, unless it's chicken or turkey soup I can do those pretty well.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed I'm going to try to can some chicken this year. I've never canned before so sorry if this is a stupid question but, does the canning process cook the chicken? Is there any benefit to cooking it first like some people do? I assume not, or you'd be doing it!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes. the canning cooks the meat. Beekissed has it right for the best savings, outcome & use of meat in a jar. :clap While the jars are processing, another pot can cook the bones into broth. One long day and it's done. :drool I HOPE to have one of those days next week. 10 to process.....live now. Big job, alone! :hide