Rototiller - help me shop - is this it?

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My DH found this on craigslist today. They say barely used. Original cost is $1200 and selling for $600. That sounds like a terribly good deal and I was wondering if it really is...what do you think?

I was thinking of one to pull rather than push but DH says we won't really need that.

414_11054277.jpg

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's a TroyBilt. I've had mine for years. The original TroyBilt company sold out and has change hands a couple of time, but the parent company who has it now seem to know what they are doing.

I am partial to the Kohler engine, but the price seems right on this either way.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, my DH hemmed and hawwed and now its gone. But he did find another like it, more used and for $150 more....so he's hemming and hawwing on this one too...but the more I am learning about mulch gardening maybe I won't need one....so maybe its a good thing.

I'm loosing interest in purchasing one due to the mulching thing but he remains unconvinced that it won't be needed..

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
How big of a garden are you planning on?

I use a LOT of mulch, but I'd NEVER give up my tiller.

Mahonri

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'd have a bigger garden if I had a Troy Bilt... they are sweet!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So far the garden is still in the dream state....

I want to try just mulching but DH likes the traditional method of digging and turning...

We will likely do both as we think that there will be at least 3 sections to the garden

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'd go for the $150 one...when you think about it, they are only used once or twice a year so none of them can be that bad:>) The way I see it, mulching a garden helps huge, but the ground DOES need to be loosened up good every once in a while for the plant roots to be able to get down to where they need to be

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
no, that was $150 more!....more for less.

anayway its gone too. DH hemms and haws too much.
I think he's waiting to sell this car we got thats just sitting around depreciating and collecting dust.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just a little info. I bought my troy bilt years ago because it is easy to manage. Thursday I had my hernia repaired. Friday (the next day) it was just getting dry enough to till a little bit, and we wanted to put in a row of green beans before it rained. The weather guessers were predicting rain to move in that evening so I tilled a strip, and the beans got planted. We got the job done and sure enough it rained that night. My point is that it's that easy to run a troy bilt. :old

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
AMEN to the Troy Bilt....we have and DH will use the front tine (I have no clue as to the brand name). But I can't because it beats me to death. DH's mom gave us her Troy Bilt because she no longer gardens and after she heard me complaining about that old front tine she said "here, take it". Now I can do my own tilling. I can till all day long because all I have to do is walk along behind it.
Plus, because I had to wait for DH to till up the gound for me and there was a difference of opinion he always won by default. LOL
Now I don't even have to discuss it with him. If I want it, I do it. He can find out about it after its done.

Latest posts