Rototiller - help me shop - is this it?

mxpres

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
go with the troybuilt,I bought the pony model 21 years ago,last year I had to have a valve job done,thats all it needed in 21 years of hard use,regular oil changes and gear oil is the life of any machine,three weeks after open heart surgury I was in my garden ,working with my troybuilt,,,I will never own anything else,besides being a roto tiller they are a power composter,

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
mxpres said:
go with the troybuilt,I bought the pony model 21 years ago,last year I had to have a valve job done,thats all it needed in 21 years of hard use,regular oil changes and gear oil is the life of any machine,three weeks after open heart surgury I was in my garden ,working with my troybuilt,,,I will never own anything else,besides being a roto tiller they are a power composter,
:welcome

Firefyter-Emt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Good advice... You can not beat the Troy's, mine is the one my Dad bought in 1981. I finished a ground up restoration on it last year and it is amazing. I also have a plow blade for it, and use it to plow my driveway in the winter! (Tines removed of course!)

It was in god shape overall, I had to do a lot of refreshing on the motor, replace the carb and converted the ingition to a modern electric over the original points. Everything was sandblasted, hardware replaced, and fully painted. The decals are NOS sent to my Dad in the mid-80's as replacements and never installed.

Here is a photo when I drug it home...
tb-1.jpg

After a couple of years (Yea, a back burner project)
My garden is "modest" 25 x 50, but it's enough for me.
tb-45.jpg

tb-49.jpg

Firefyter-Emt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thank you, it was a great feeling to get her up and running again. It will start on the first pull every time and idles so low it is not even funny! I happen to have a video of it running on You-tube if you search for my same user name here.

The Troy's really are a dream to till a garden with, they are heavy and almost till by them self. Once you get the rocks out of the garden, it can lay the dirt down almost perfectly smooth! 50% of the garden in the above photo was fresh tilled lawn when I started out!

Latest posts