Rotten News! :(

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well Tony called.

he is on 4 day work week---Mon. to Thurs--12 hr. day

then off 10 days! UGH

but at least I pull unemployment for that.

And this is supposed to go 6 weeks...with a maybe to 12 weeks.

UGH

I did not realize how stupid I have been. I almost do live paycheck to paycheck and I know I should have banked more etc. etc. for these times.

I thank goodness he is working and paying the medical coverage and such.......but now I am getting that real scary feeling. His company in 15 years has never done this. Chewing nails a little...no wait, can't do that cause I can't afford a manicure. Manicure, what's that...never had one anyway....HA HA HA

times are strange out there...you can feel it in the air!

But I have so much crap to sell like animals and tractors and such (if someone would buy) that it would be a bit before I got truly down....but it sure could happen........but still SMILING! Life is a crapshoot, enjoy the ride right?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Karen, Sorry to hear about Tony's work. I know its scary but at least he still has a job with benefits. So many have no job or either had to go part-time and lost benefits. So still lots to be thankful for. Plus, you still have all your farmers market sales.
It will be ok and you will get past this. Just keep smiling.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Don't panic- you are so far from going down. It sounds like is company is trying really hard to keep things going and that is such a blessing. But even then he would have unemployment for quite awhile.

Spring and a growth is farmer's amrket sales can't be far away. You have the farm to feed all of you quite well.

That beautiful camper is a resource too depending.

I also feel that we are going to be sort of drifting down in the economy for few months but then I do believe it will start picking up.

You have breathing room so- Breath in, hold, release slowly................

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
You sound so much like me! I panic about money all the time...Chad has to keep calming me down but then again, he's not the one that writes all the checks! I know what we have in the bank and he doesn't :rolleyes:

You are alright and at least he still has benefits...that's a plus. So many people are without now and with all of his medical issues and tests and such he needs them. He needs the rest now anyway...if you think about it this really is coming at a perfect time for him. At least he's not killing himself at work and then coming home and killing himself on the farm. He needs to take care of himself now!

Everything will be okay... :hugs

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hang in there girl! Things can be overwhelming if you think through them too much. I try to go on auto pilot when I start doing the panic thing. There will be time to panic later, need to function now!! :gig

Seriously though, I'm not sure I can say anything to make you feel better, but I feel for you and am sympathizing and praying for you and all of us who are getting hit by this thing!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks so much for the good wishes and advice and understanding from ya'll

I am not bad yet...I just hate "what if"
I hate change.
But I know change can be a great thing.

There is a higher plan, I accept that, so maybe I should not worry and go with the flow. Going with the flow is easiest...and easy sounds good right now.

needless to say, the camper is the first thing gon-zo if needed. that payment is pure luxury fun. something I thought I could afford might not be, so it would be OK if it had to go. I would surely live ....haha...and I am lucky to be in a position where if it went and that payment was gone, I would be in a whole lot better place.

I just have that scary feeling.
That "all can change" soon feeling.
That "don't do this to me" feeling.

LOL

Fantasy world I know...in my mind....built on cement but truly built on sand. just rambling.............

So will put this behind me cause what hasn't happened might not. Good to be prepared but not to go overkill til we know the real situation.

thanks!!!! :)

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I know what you mean about saving, I'm kicking myself (and mentally him) for not saving when the income was good, it's just so easy to find things that need doing (and we do, for the most part, live pretty frugally). Paycheck to paycheck is no way to live, yet we find ourselves doing so, it's almost as bad as being in debt. We've got to pay ourselves first (remember when we were little and that's how we were told to save?). I was putting one check a week in the savings account from one class I teach, but can't do it right now with money so tight. I hope Tony's company pulls out of it, heck, I hope all our companies can keep it together and ride this mess out.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear you are stressed FC. We all sympathize with you. I am sure Tony will be fine. You have such a solid foundation with your farm.

One thing to remember and I don't mean to be the downer. But I am trying to sell an off road vehicle right now to put some cash in the bank. Nothing is moving!! No one is buying anything. I don't think we should rely on selling anything to get us through.

I think I have learned a valuable lesson this year. Savings and security is much more important than material goods and toys. If push comes to shove we may be living in our trailer right next to yours. ;)

Maybe if there are some more seasoned SS members around they could give us some suggestions. Steps to take to strengthen our positions and feel more secure. Sorry for the drama but my tax bill is comming and I am stressing out as well. g

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Yeah TanksHill- it is worse I think in California now as the housing rose more there than most places. I hate tax bills too- saving like mad for the 2nd half due in April.

I wonder if there is enough money that people don't worry. I have never been there so can't tell for sure.

But I do think about those ba-zillionaires who lost everything (at least they felt it was everything) in that Madarov scandle. Maybe that is why I was never a good invester- always worried about the what-ifs.

Having skills at making do and digging out and coping are so valuable. :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You the problem with the gazillionaires?? They own the companies we work for. And "you know what" rolls down hill. They don't have their "lifestyles" any more so they start cutting jobs and firing people. Just so they can keep their yachts and cleaning ladies. They don't realize any cuts for us have a more dramatic effect on our everyday lives. Gas for the car, groceries, new shoes for the kids.

Sorry FC I didn't mean to side track your thread.