rty007 winemaking Q

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey there, good to see you again. I hope all is well on your side of the world.

To be honest the only time I ever lost a significant amount of weight was to go low carb. Which many on this forum advocate. Which means you should probably just skip the tortillas all together.

:hide I know it sounds hard but its totally doable. I am sure some others will chime in here and have great links for you.

Now that spring is in full swing I am planning to do the same thing. Veggies, veggies, veggies, meat, fish, good fats etc...

Other than that, hows your homesteading progress???

g

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Hey there, good to see you again. I hope all is well on your side of the world.

To be honest the only time I ever lost a significant amount of weight was to go low carb. Which many on this forum advocate. Which means you should probably just skip the tortillas all together.

:hide I know it sounds hard but its totally doable. I am sure some others will chime in here and have great links for you.

Now that spring is in full swing I am planning to do the same thing. Veggies, veggies, veggies, meat, fish, good fats etc...

Other than that, hows your homesteading progress???

g
1) Yeah it is great. Life is good, everything is going pretty smooth...
2)Cmon... baby steps :D I am a total bread junkie. give me some time to adjust... I am sure, that tortillas are gonne be a better option then bread, then I might even skip those tortillas.
3)it is going in a steady, snail speed :p BUT we are gonna get there... one day anyway.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I actually do have a tortilla recipe, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet...I thought it would be a good thing to know how to do if TSHTF, since you could make them over a campfire (theoretically) if you didn't have an oven to bake bread. I could go ahead & post if if you want. :)

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, here's what I have (I may even have gotten this from someone on this forum, if so I apologize for not providing proper credit) ;) :

2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup lukewarm milk (2% is fine)

Stir together the flour and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Add the salt and
vegetable oil to the lukewarm milk and whisk briefly to incorporate. Gradually add the
milk to the flour, and work the mixture into a dough. It will be sticky.

Turn the dough out onto a surface dusted with flour and knead vigorously for about 2
minutes (fold and press, fold and press). The kneading will take care of the stickiness.
Return the dough to the bowl, cover it with a damp cloth, and let it rest for 15 minutes.
(This dough will not rise, but it needs a rest.)

Divide your dough into 8 balls of equal size, cover them, and let them rest again for
about 20 minutes. Avoid letting them touch, if you don't want them to stick together.

Dust your work surface with flour. Working one at a time, remove each piece of dough and
pat it into a 5-inch circle. With a rolling pin, roll out the tortilla, working from the
center out, until you have a 7- or 8-inch tortilla a little less than 1/4 inch thick.
Transfer the tortilla to a hot, dry skillet or griddle. It will begin to blister. Let it
cook for 30 seconds, turn it, and let the other side cook for 30 seconds. Remove the
tortilla, place it in a napkin-lined basket and cover with aluminum foil. Repeat for the
remaining tortillas.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thx, for the recipe, sorry I do it sooner. I have to admit, I didn't try it just yet. But I will very soon.

What Is more important tho... I want to thank the person (who was it by the way?couse I cant remember), that gave me the idea for lavender as an aid for my sleeping problems, It works like a charm. I am using essential oils in a ceramic thingie to evaporate them, right before I head for bed and it truly and honestly works. I cant remember the last time I had 7 hours of sleep in a row, not even once waking up.

I also bought sandalwood and cedrus essential oils, and they basically worked instantaneously for my skin condition, So I was wondering, if any of you have a soap recipe using those two oils?

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Glad to have some time to actually write something here. But I am still hoping for that soap recipe ;)

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Wish I had a recipe for you but we have plenty of soap people on the site so you might just run a search on making soap.
Be careful to only use a little bit, with Cedar and Sandalwood essential oils. Too much is pretty irritating to the skin. The price of Sandalwood is outrageous too because they over-harvested for so long and are short on it now.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
rty007 said:
Glad to have some time to actually write something here. But I am still hoping for that soap recipe ;)
What kind of a soap recipe are you looking for exactly?

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@dragon - I mean, I am using those liquid distiled for you oils. So the price of the sandal wood doesn't really mater.
@ff - a good one? :D But to be serious... I am looking for a recipe that has moisturizing qualities. I am open for sugestions wheter it be OO, goatmilk, lard, or whatever else, as well as the method hot/cold.