rty007 winemaking Q

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was wondering and found some answers on BYC. But would love to hear it from you all folks, couse it seams that they get a tad attached to the chickens.

Anyways, I was wondering how does making a pure male stall work? I mean I know that putting 2 roosters together is gona make em fight, but how about a pure rooster stall are they gona fight?

I have a coop design in my crazy little head. So I'll try to put it down on paper and send it in here to ask you all what do you all think. But what I was really wondering is, do you think, that putting 4 stalls under one roof with 4 separate runs divided into 3 or 6 sections to imitate the mandala garden would do the trick? if so, how big would you make each section? if you ware to put say 15-20 chickens in each stall. They say that normally you should have 4 sqft of of coop per chicken + 10sqft of run what area per chicken each section should be, for them to really dig up the section in those 2 weeks. I intend to grow mostly chicken feed to preserve in those, with some additional human food.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Most breeds of chickens don't have the animosity that will cause fighting breeds to fight.

When I was a kid we basically housed all of our roosters in one big pen and our hens in another. Roosters had the same "pecking order" issues that the hens did, but as long as there were no women to fight over all went pretty well in the stud pen. ;)

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I need pepper preserving ideas. There are some mad MAD sales. So I intend to buy a poop load and preserve it somehow. Freezing is the last to go. So any ideas? Tomatoes should follow on sales in a couple weeks.
So some premade pepper in jars for salsa?
How does do when dried?

Ideas please ;)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We do a LOT of peppers around here!

The preferred way is to make pepper flakes especially with the hot ones. ;) My hubby is pepper crazy and raises lots of different kinds. He slices them in half and dehydrates them then pulses them in the food processor.

We also do pickled jalapeno slices for nachos and Mexican recipes. They are simply rinsed, sliced about 1/4 inch thick and packed into small sterilized jars. I top them with a basic vinegar water and salt brine and water bath can them for about 10 minutes to seal them.

We also do slice and freeze a few peppers for use in stir-fry and fajitas.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Pepper jelly
Dried peppers
Roast and freeze in plastic freezer bags
Pickle
Make in to salsa and can

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the "how to make hot pepper flakes" instructions, FarmFresh!

We do like Wifezilla and preserve them in a variety of ways:

frozen chunks,
pickled,
in pasta sauce,
in salsa,
in antipasto (link to recipe is in the Canning thread)

One thing I like to make with the frozen chunks of bell peppers is:

Pepper Beef (we use Bison)

Shake stew meat in flour/salt/pepper mixture and brown in fat in frying pan.
Dump browned meat into stew pot or crock pot, sautee onions and garlic in same frying pan.
Dump veggies into stew pot/crock pot with meat and pour a quart of stewed tomatoes over,
add 2 cups bell peppers cut in chunks, can add sliced carrots if you like.
Stew till tender, enjoy over rice or pasta.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How does one make a pepper jelly?
Couse of all the things you listed, that would be the one totally new to me. I am gona go with drying and pickling.

And another Sale question for the day, what can you do with red grapefruit?
juice? jello? any particular recipes?

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a quick question, about winemaking. Have any of you used one of those plastic thingies for making wine? I mean I did use it for making beer, but never used it for making wine, and I don't have access to glass fermentors any more. And with my new hobby of canning and preserving sales fruits and veggies (getting some practice, before canning my own ;) next year) I decided, that my plastic fermentor is just sitting there, so why not use the bugger for an apple wine or something. But I have to admit that it feels wrong, to use a plastic one for wine, or am I just being picky?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just being picky, food grade containers make good wine! just be sure to clean them up good before you go back to beer as there COULD be some flavor carryover if you don't.