Safe rooms?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I saw a movie once where all you need is a leather belt tied to a water pipe stanchion.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
xpc said:
I saw a movie once where all you need is a leather belt tied to a water pipe stanchion.
Or hide under a small wooden bridge with a tractor on top. :lol:

Yeah.

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ya know I had asked a while back about a root cellar. And often I understand folks use rootcellars as a storm shelter too. Make sense, why spend the extra effort and costs building two very simlar buildings. Whether it's next year, or ten years from now, I'm thinking along the lines of buying a shipping container and burying that. Don't have to be super deep. And I would have to bolster the "roof" of it, because they're designed to carry loads at the corners. Hit it up with some weather sealer and set it on a bed of gravel before buring and it should be alright. Knowing welding helps I can rewrork the doors to make that more secure as well.

Until such time, and I am hoping to rent/lease a house, I'd build a safe room in an basement of the home.

Jax

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Since tornadoes often seem to strike in the evening, make your safe room big and comfy enough for a bed. We go to the basement/family room and have a futon in there to sleep on.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My shelter is in my basement. I have one room about 10x10 that has 1 brick wall and 3 plywood over 2x6.. No windows. This is also where I keep my long term food storage. Yesterday as a matter of fact we had a warning, with multiple funnel clouds and 1 confirmed tornado so me n the fam (3 boys, 5 girls, the wife and I) headed down to the basement. We set up the card table for board games, younger kids played guitar hero on the tv and I had a radio setup to tell us when it was safe to come up.

If things got hairy, we were all ready to go into the reinforced 10x10 room, but until things got super quiet or super loud, we were fine and had a good time. Dogs loved it too btw.

PS, don't forget to stock your shelter with potable water... Never know when the roof is going to fall in and keep you buried for an extended period of time.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our tornado sirens went off and now we are all in our basement. I am not too worried. This happens a few times a year. We are all just relaxing. My dh is entertaining us playing his guitar. I am rotating my stored food. I feel safe in a basement. In fact around here one of our criteria for buying a different house will be having a basement.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All safe now! It's over I think..... My dogs wanted to stay down there under the table.

Marshmallow Man

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yesterday while driving down the highway in one of our more agricultural areas I saw some concrete boxes with steel doors on them. They were advertised as above ground storm shelters. I wonder if they were anchored to some piers in the ground if they would withstand a class 5 tornado. They came in about 5 different sizes.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
and here i thought you meant a safe room like... i dunno... padded walls and no glass windows.