salad dressing

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi all,I love "dorothy lynch" dressing from wal-mart,tho I know it probably isnt very good for me,and last night I had a salad and for something different I used some fat-free hidden valley ranch,which I havnt used in a 3-4 months,,now I used to LOVE this stuff,couldnt get enough,but after eating clean and eating my good fats now for a month,,OMG!! the stuff was horrible! I cant believe I used to really like it..I actually gave the salad to the chickens,thats how bad it tasted,,anyway,,what are some simple recipes for dressings I can make at home?..prefer low to no sugar,I have discovered I REALLY like honey,but sweet isnt a big thing for me anymore,just sweet enough is good.

smurfette79

Power Conserver
Reaction score
my favorite is a home made ranch using butter milk, sour cream and small amount of mayo grated garlic, and onion fresh dill, parsley, salt and pepper . (all amounts vary to taste play with those ingredients see what you like )

You could do a oil vinegar or red wine with some Italians seasonings salt and pepper. LOVE that when having red sauce over pasta.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I alwasy have a homemade italian type dressing in the fridge- sometime I add things like sundried tomatoes or dehydrated red peppers to it. and I always have homemade mayonnaise int he fridge. My son didn't wnat to eat salad for the longest time after I stopped buying store bought salad dressings. ranch in particular. Well, one day about three months ago, I mixed the italian and the may together and he loves salad again. For a meal sized salad, I usually use about 4-5 tbsp of italian to one or two tbsp of mayo. Mix and toss on the salad. Even company has raved about the dressing.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I love plain yogurt as a salad dressing base.
Toss some crumbled blue cheese in for a healthy version of blue cheese dressing.
Add minced up cucumber and thin sliced onion for something similar to the sauce for gyros.
Toss frozen blueberries in it for fruit salads.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm all about sweet dressings. I like some basalmic, olive oil and some raspberries all whirred up together in the food processor. Of course I also like just some basalmic and olive oil with whatever herbs strike my fancy that day but the raspberry is my fave.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am basic.....good EVOO & good aged balsamic. Both sprinkled over the salad and then a few grinds of sea salt and pepper.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I make mustard dressing. Everything to taste/texture preference.

Lots of brown gourmet mustard
A bit of spicy brown mustard
A bit of yellow mustard
Some balsamic vinegar
Some oil
Some water
Honey or sugar, whichever I have, to taste

Shake shake shake to mix it.

I've made some others that were good also, can't remember what I put in them though!

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
thanks for the ideas everyone,,I will try them they sound delicious!!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
All of the dressings in Nourishing Traditions are fantastic.
Here is one.

Basic Dressing
from Nourishing Traditions

1 teaspoon Dijon-type mustard, smooth or grainy
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon raw wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon expeller-expressed flax oil

Dip a fork into the jar of mustard and transfer about 1 teaspoon to a small bowl. Add vinegar and mix around. Add olive oil in a thin stream, stirring all the while with the fork, until oil is well mixed or emulsified. Add flax oil and use immediately.

Note: Salt and pepper in Fallon's dressing recipes is left to the discretion of the cook.

Yield: 3/4 cup

Variations:

* Herb Dressing - add 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, tarragon, thyme, basil or oregano
* Garlic Dressing - add 1 clove garlic, mashed, and let dressing sit a few minutes before serving
* Balsamic Dressing - substitute balsamic vinegar for the wine vinegar
* Sun Dried Tomato Dressing - add 1 teaspoon sun-dried tomato flakes and 1 teaspoon chives or green onion, finely chopped, and allow dressing to sit a few minutes before serving
* Creamy Dressing - add 1/4 cup piima cream or creme fraiche (I've used 1/4 cup thickened plain yogurt)
* Blue Cheese Dressing - add 2-4 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese, pulse a few times in a food processor or mash cheese into dressing with a fork

----------------------------------------------------------------------------