1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Pallet Boards - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Sales Tax Exemption

Discussion in 'Financial Management & Budgeting' started by CrealCritter, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Mar 6, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

Curious how many here have their sales tax exemption number? The nice lady Lisa at the farm store really likes me, she even bakes me cookies She also talks my leg off everytime I go in there. It's funny she works at the service desk and if she sees me standing in the check out line she'll wave me over to the service desk so she can ring up my items and she gives me a homemade cookie. But she was telling me I should apply for a tax exemption number, so I wouldn't have to pay sales tax. You know I'm all about not paying Dick Durban for the privilege of buying stuff at the store.

I got curious and looked it up in IL, Lisa is right... I'm going to investigate it further. I grow my own food... that's a non-profit organization :)

"A tax-exempt number is a number assigned to qualifying non-profit organizations that they can present which allows them to purchase items tax-free. This number begins with the letter ā€œEā€ and is followed by nine digits."

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  2. Mar 6, 2018
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

We don't have sales tax!

3. Mar 6, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

Lucky you

4. Mar 6, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

We have it here but I've never checked into it... Might be something I need to do?

5. Mar 6, 2018
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

We have one. You have to claim timber or a farm. We claim the farm, do the whole IRS thing, the works. It has saved us a lot of money, and we write off all the stuff we've done here, which is everything. There was nothing here but the double wide, so everything we've done is a tax write off.

6. Apr 18, 2018
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

We do for our sheep and chicken purchases. It doesn't save money, except proving we use the land for agriculture which saves us from paying property tax at higher recreational rates.

7. Apr 19, 2018
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

Our property tax break is for any undeveloped land, farming or not farming. But there's a minimum of 10 acres. I want to buy the 6 acres next to my 5 (because we need an acre for the house) for a property tax break, lol

8. Apr 19, 2018
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

We have 8 acres and have an ag exemption. Dunno what the acreage requirement is, but we were granted the ag exemption.