Sales Tax Exemption

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Curious how many here have their sales tax exemption number? The nice lady Lisa at the farm store really likes me, she even bakes me cookies She also talks my leg off everytime I go in there. It's funny she works at the service desk and if she sees me standing in the check out line she'll wave me over to the service desk so she can ring up my items and she gives me a homemade cookie. But she was telling me I should apply for a tax exemption number, so I wouldn't have to pay sales tax. You know I'm all about not paying Dick Durban for the privilege of buying stuff at the store.

I got curious and looked it up in IL, Lisa is right... I'm going to investigate it further. I grow my own food... that's a non-profit organization :)

"A tax-exempt number is a number assigned to qualifying non-profit organizations that they can present which allows them to purchase items tax-free. This number begins with the letter “E” and is followed by nine digits."

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have one. You have to claim timber or a farm. We claim the farm, do the whole IRS thing, the works. It has saved us a lot of money, and we write off all the stuff we've done here, which is everything. There was nothing here but the double wide, so everything we've done is a tax write off.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We do for our sheep and chicken purchases. It doesn't save money, except proving we use the land for agriculture which saves us from paying property tax at higher recreational rates.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our property tax break is for any undeveloped land, farming or not farming. But there's a minimum of 10 acres. I want to buy the 6 acres next to my 5 (because we need an acre for the house) for a property tax break, lol

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have 8 acres and have an ag exemption. Dunno what the acreage requirement is, but we were granted the ag exemption.

HornyToadAcres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! Once I finally found the right info, registering for a Sales Tax exemption in Texas was super easy. Especially since I already had a tax account for other businesses on the comptroller website. The hardest part was selecting the activity since I am raising meat rabbits to sell. But it gives you your number immediately! Woo hoo!

1612981593233.png

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here in Va we have to sell $1,000 a year off the farm to qualify for an ag exempt for no sales tax on qualified purchases. It isn't hard to sell 1,000 worth of stuff... if you sell 10 lambs at 100 each... or vegs at a farmers market, or like us...sq bales of hay and beef cattle.... there are lots of ways to meet the minimum here.... property taxes also qualify for ag reductions if they meet certain qualifications.... we sign papers for several people that we rent from so they can get the "ag tax reduction" for their property taxes.... have to be able to prove that the land is being used for ag purposes.... since we pay rent, they get the benefit of the lower taxes....and our cattle on the land or the hay being made....even growing timber....
Every state has different requirements.... not hard to find out....take advantage of it if you can....