Salt from sea water, the stove-top version

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I read that only a few places qualify for sea salt because of the pollutants, too, so be wary.

Years ago I was fascinated by how inland Native Americans came by salt. In our area they would visit a spring or somewhat developed well and, much like Free is doing, boiled down the water into light weight transportable salts.
Many of our ancient sites were wrongly attributed as permanent camps or forts but were actually brief summer sites where they spent a few weeks extracting salt. Repeated use of the area, without all the cues of permanent residence finally gave these sites their accurate description.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the first one to say it . . . this was my concern when I heard about your salt making project.

I think it is a great idea for self sufficiency and it may be something worth doing some day, however I do believe that most ocean water is polluted, especially in places where there is a long history of industry. All those pollutants are heavy and will be in the salt, once the water is evaporated. The way that salt water can be made potable is by distillation, which means the evaporated water is condensed in a separate vessel (leaving the pollutants behind).

It would be really fun to test your product and test the stuff you buy for pollutants and see! I wonder about what is in the sea salt I buy.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
The minerals would stay behind with the salt, I believe. Some lighter molecules would follow the water and get condensed with it, if you are distilling (condensing the water vapor into a separate vessel).

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought about that....concentrating pollutants. I haven't decided yet (not enough info yet) if I am concerned about it or not. I basically wanted to see if it was possible and worthwhile...if it is, then I will take the steps to determine if it is safe. If I decide I am comfortable with it, I plan on making salt all winter, as long as the woodstove is going.

My thought is that the heavy metals, if they are present, will be in the salt. Boiling will take care of bacterium, but not metals. I wonder who I need to ask about this.....

Meanwhile, back at the salt mines......the water is down to about an inch or less, and fleur de sel has formed on the surface, looking like frost on a window. Visible on the bottom of the pan is a shallow layer of salt crystals. Woohoo!

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hadn't even thought about pollutants, good point!
Would running it through a filter before doing your boiling help? I don't know if that would also take out all the organic particles that make sea salt so yummy...

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I imagine that whatever local agency that measures ocean pollution can tell you what level of what's in the water- I think a fisheries monitoring agency would be a good place to start.

Maybe a local university?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Good idea, etr, I'll see what a Google search brings up.

Oc, I did run it through a coffee filter, but I don't think that would remove things like mercury. Just fish poop and jelly globs.... :p I stick my finger in it occasionally, or grab some salt residue from near the top of the pan for a taste, and it tastes good!