Salt from sea water, the stove-top version

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
Fish poops and jelly globs! *squeebie jeebie dance*
ME TOO!! :yuckyuck

I would worry about salt water collected in the gulf of Mexico for sure. :sick But up there????

I did a google search on the dangers of making your own sea salt and came up with nada. :hu In fact a few popular sites explain how to do it.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
Hey! "fish poop & jelly globs" is my registered trademark, well not really I stole the jelly globs from the vinegar thread but had remembered them from fishing near a power plant warm water discharge in Tampa Bay and the jelly fish were so thick you could barely see the water, they would also slip and slide right through the fish net as if it wasn't there.

I just realized your screen name is a corruption of Occam's Razor, an apt name for us scientists and laymen alike. Also known as the KISS principle.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Of all the things that could get us in a day, the sea salt boiled on the stove doesn't even make the top 20.

I am not a germaphobe...or a chemicalaphobe. Just a carbaphobe :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I am a chemical-aphobe, but I am not too worried about this project. I will do a little research on the amounts of heavy metals....but I doubt what I find will stop me from using my salt or making more. Truth is, heavy metals are all around us, and likely in the sea salt I buy. The websites selling sea salt word that part very carefully..."We test for heavy metals" but no mention of whether or not they find them! Then lots of details on all the essential minerals that are in the salt.

I don't doubt that my pasture and garden soils are full of nasties from previous owners and nearby farms and rain....we are under the flight path of Bradley International Airport. So I think about it.....but not too much.

Germaphobe? Naaaah! Raw milk, baby, raw milk! Just pick the hairs out of it during shedding season! :lol:

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
You could also legitimize your project by how old you are, since heavy metal poisoning is an accumulative process and takes a fairly long time before the effects become noticeable that you may already be welcoming death by old age. I however in the meantime will not be accepting any gifts of saltwater taffy from you.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
I am becoming fond of that phrase :)

Good luck free....and please let us know what you find out. I am just a hop skip and a jump from the Pacific!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
xpc, :smack :lol:

It suddenly became salt... I looked at it and gave it a stir, went out to do chores, and checked it less than an hour later and voila! Salt! Damp salt, so I am letting it finish by airdrying. I want to take a picture but the new semester started today and dh and I were both wrapped up in getting ready, then teaching, then being POOPED! He couldn't find the camera in the chaos that is our house right now. So I will post a pic as soon as possible.

It is VERY white and everyone agrees that it seems saltier than what we buy. We will have to do a blind comparison test tomorrow. We did that when we switched from refined salt to Celtic salt and Redmond salt, and we all noticed a huge difference in taste. I can hardly wait to try it.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
freemotion said:
xpc, :smack :lol:

It suddenly became salt... I looked at it and gave it a stir, went out to do chores, and checked it less than an hour later and voila! Salt! Damp salt, so I am letting it finish by airdrying.
Salt by itself is hygroscopic and will always be a little damp, Morton added the anti-caking and drying agents and made the famous - when it rains it pours slogan, meaning your salt poured when it was raining outside.