Salt question!

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Ok, so I have decided I want to make my own fish sauce with the recipe from NT. I can get everything, but I have a questions about the salt. It calls for sea salt and I only have table salt. Are they interchangable or is there a conversion table...? DH insisit we buy iodized salt.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Basically, they are interchangeable.

The main differences between sea salt and table salt are in their taste and texture. Also, table salt is generally processed and most of its' trace minerals have been removed. We use sea salt on the table and for some cooking, but use iodized salt for most cooking.

During the Depression, iodine deficiency was common in the more poor, rural areas. Iodine deficiency can cause thyroid problems and cretinism.

ChickenToes

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I would try using a little less table salt. To me, table salt tastes much saltier (and more bland) than sea salt or kosher salt.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
Ok, so I have decided I want to make my own fish sauce with the recipe from NT. I can get everything, but I have a questions about the salt. It calls for sea salt and I only have table salt. Are they interchangable or is there a conversion table...? DH insisit we buy iodized salt.
So what do you use for pickling and canning? Many of those processes do not work with iodized salt. Anyways sea salt does contain iodine and a whole bunch of other minerals in trace amounts. salts are complex and different types usually call for different amounts because the bulk density can change with the crystals formed. Common table salt crystals are cubes as are some forms of sea salt. Other sea salts and Kosher salts can crystalalize in the form of hollow prymids (sp) that often break down to a flake structure. These salts have less salt weight per volume of measure and actually call for more teaspoons than plain old Table salt. for an example Morton Kosher salt says to use 1 1/2 teasoons for every teaspoon of table salt. Diamon(sp) brand is lighter yet and calls for 2 teaspoons to replace one.
You will see most chefs on TV not measuring the salt, they just pick up a pinch in their fingers and throw it on the food, taste and add more if needed. Bakers are more likely to measure. To answer your original question you probably can use iodized table salt to replace sea salt in a recipie (sp).
As for kOxxx poverty had little to do with it, Rich men had goiters too if the land where they lived and got thier food from was poor in iodine. usually wasn't needed along the coasts but many of the lands in the plains states were iodine poor. Small amounts of iodine are needed to avoid health effects. ~gd

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The whole point of Nourishing Traditions asking for sea salt is b/c sea salt is seen as more wholesome. You could substitute it, but that would defeat the prupose of calling for it in the first place. Oh, an BTW, I made the fish sauce. Not good.

I am waiting on a batch of kefir to drain for the whey, so I can make fermented ketchup. I am not using the NT recipe, I found one that calls for anchovie pasteas opposed tot he fish sauce, and I will be making that one. the fish sauce, IMO was n a s t y.

But by all means, try it and let us know hpow it goes. :)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
~gd said:
As for kOxxx poverty had little to do with it, Rich men had goiters too if the land where they lived and got thier food from was poor in iodine. usually wasn't needed along the coasts but many of the lands in the plains states were iodine poor. Small amounts of iodine are needed to avoid health effects. ~gd
Yes, rich people did indeed have problems with iodine deficiency, and they did get goiters. However, the problem was starting abate with the advent of iodized salt in the 1920's and a more varied diet became available.

During the depression, iodine deficiency started to become a problem again due to the lack of a varied diet in inland rural (poorer) areas. Those living near the coasts received a lot of iodine from the availability of sea food, while larger cities offered a lot more varied markets with greens and other iodine enriched foods. Or am I mistaken? (it certainly wouldn't be the first time) :)

Edited to add: Sorry about getting off topic.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
~gd said:
So what do you use for pickling and canning? Many of those processes do not work with iodized salt.
Sure they work, just fine -- it's simply that you get a muddy un-clear looking result. And sometimes a slight off taste (I have never experienced this myself though).

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OMG I am a salt addict

one thing I love is salt

can't say it enough hahaha

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
OMG I am a salt addict

one thing I love is salt

Me too!

I was asking because I had heard one was more "saltier" than the other (however that works :rolleyes: )

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
FarmerChick said:
OMG I am a salt addict

one thing I love is salt

Me too!

I was asking because I had heard one was more "saltier" than the other (however that works :rolleyes: )
yes I have to be very careful salting foods while cooking
I use very little cause I hit the shaker on everything I eat and hubby is not a salt fan....so less when cooking seems safer to me and he can use the shaker if not enough haha