Salt question!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sea salt is way saltier tasting. Remember the deliciously salty cookies?
And trust me, once you get hubby hooked on it, he'll never go back. Just get some sea salt & refill your iodized container with it mwahahaha

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We did a salt tasting here a couple of times. Some years ago when we switched to the "good" sea salt...Redmond Real Salt or Celtic Salt. I have both in my cupboards. The Celtic is better but very expensive unless you get the big chunky kind. I use that to cook in soups and such, but for the shaker we use Real Salt.

The first tasting we did was to compare the above salts to the Morton salt we used to buy and some very white sea salt we got in the bulk section of Whole Foods that looked just like Morton's. Turns out it is just like Mortons. :rolleyes: No better, just as refined, basically the same thing.

The more expensive salts tasted WAY better.

Homemade sea salt is MUCH saltier than any of the above.

Just like homegrown tomatoes are better than storebought, homegrown raw milk is better, homemade soup is better than Campbell's.....there are different types of salt and some are better tasting, some are healthier for you.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
And trust me, once you get hubby hooked on it, he'll never go back. Just get some sea salt & refill your iodized container with it mwahahaha
I like your thinking! I'll go ahead and buy a little thing of sea salt and use that in the recipes that call for it and finish up the new canister of table salt I bought. I don't like to fiddle with recipes until I've made them a few times.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
I grew up a couple of hundred yards from the ocean, and for the majority of my life I lived within 8 miles of salt water. There are very few things that I need to add extra salt to - IMO I got what I needed out of the air :D (my brother, a sailor, says exactly the same thing). For the last 9 years I have lived further away from the water, with a mountain range in between, and I notice that I am using more salt. But I still find that most food, not cooked by me, is oversalted. After decades of living with me, and eating my cooking, DH has also cut way back on salt. My "everyday" salt is pickling salt, but I have both kosher and sea salt on hand. Not the expensive stuff though; I just can't see spending a lot of money on something that I use so little of.

Latest posts