Salt Soap!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Well, it depends on what you want. You use coconut oil as your basic oil. You should use at least 75% coconut oil for the oils, and then anything else added in there to your taste. I personally use 100% coconut oil. You can use any amount of salt, from 0-100% of your oil weight. The more you use, the harder/crumblier the bar will be, and the more difficult to unmold/cut.
High salt increases the cure time too?? It should in theory. BTW From your title I thought you were talking about salt water soap. used tons of that when in the Navy. If you shave with it rinse your blade very well, dry and oil it or the salt will ruin it in a very short time.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on shaving with it, ~gd!
Good to know for future use :)
What kind of oil? Would coconut oil do?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gd, I never thought about that, good to know! I usually use the same razor head for like a year before changing it out, so I definately would have shortened my razor life, lol.
I've also realized something that should have been way obvious to me... My salt soap is "abrasive" because I use mineralized sea salt (has specs of minerals with the sea salt). The salt itself is very slick feeling, but the minerals are what make it abrasive. So, if using normal salt, sea salt, etc, you'd have a very "glidy" bar. I bought some regular sea salt as well, so I plan on making some with that as well, for the folks who don't like having their hide removed during their shower.

Also, you can use it for shaving. It didn't cause any stinging or anything. :)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Thanks for the tip on shaving with it, ~gd!
Good to know for future use :)
What kind of oil? Would coconut oil do?
I use 3in1 brand or WD-40 because they are handy. Coconut oil is solid at room temp so I have never tried it,
Salt will corrode stainless steel and actually eat the edge off a blade. a good shaving guide will tell that just because of the natural sweat salt on your skin.

Rarity

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Sounds fascinating! I've never been brave enough to try making soap, but it looks like it might be fun. :)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been researching for a new project with the salt soap. In the early stages, you can crumble it (or if you mess up unmolding it, it'll crumble for you), so I'm devising a plan to use these "scraps" as part of a scrub. :)

tdbarani

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've never heard of salt soap but now I want to make it! Seems like it would be a really good way to exfoliate.

Tammy

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
Can you put salt in melt and pour soaps or melt down someone else's well made soap and put salt in it?
I collect hand made soap and buy it from local artisans, there are so many that make soap around here, that I have never learned how to make it myself.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Unfortunately, those methods wouldn't work. The recipe has to have a very high coconut oil content (75%ish or above) in order to suds with the salt.
Salt bars aren't exfoliating, they're very smooth, unless you add some grit. :)