Same old freezer, new purpose

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We moved into our 8 and a half acre farm in June and in the garage was a nasty old chest freezer, my mum and I "freezer raced," down the hill from the garage to the barn with this thing on it's top, not only did it semi-grade our driveway for us, but it also once cleaned up, made an awesome grain bin that the mice and rats can't get into!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yes they are fab for feed!
and anyone who farms their own minnows etc. for fishing, (Tony's friend did this)---he fitted an old chest with areator and all minnow requirements and voila, his own bait! wierd but true
so many uses for this other than a landfill.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Yep, we have an old freezer that we use to store feed in too! It is just a real small one. It only holds one 100 pound chicken feed bag. But, it has the freon thingy on the back and the dump would not take it years ago until we had a certified sticker on it saying a professional removed the freon tube...so of course it has sat in our garage forever...and now it is finally useful!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
Yep, we have an old freezer that we use to store feed in too! It is just a real small one. It only holds one 100 pound chicken feed bag. But, it has the freon thingy on the back and the dump would not take it years ago until we had a certified sticker on it saying a professional removed the freon tube...so of course it has sat in our garage forever...and now it is finally useful!
I think ours still has the freon tube on the back, I haven't looked lol. It's down in our big barn for grain and such because we started getting rats coming in through the cracks in the floor, I've still got to send down those fogging bomb things and kill those freaking things, I hate rats! I use 3 large garbage bin's in our coop, one has corn, one has grower, and the last has layer waiting for the first egg coming in the next couple weeks hopefully.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I wish I had an old freezer. I am watching free cycle for one. I want to make a root cellar out of it.
Old fridges and freezers have so many different useful purposes and they are always a great find for us SS people.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Okay now thanks to everyone here I know what to do with my chest freezer "when" it gives out on me. Wait until I tell dh(tee hee hee) sometimes he wonders about my resourcefulness & not buying things but using things we already have.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
My mom used to use her very old, very heavy chest freezer as a safe- she installed a padlock on it - good enough to keep some stuff although I think a really determined thief would have been able to break the padlock. But good enough to keep small curious creatures (children) out.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
etr, that woiuld be a great way to hide gifts wouldn't it? Thats a thought too! As we hid a bike for ds in the feed shed a couple yrs ago that was supposed to be from Santa. So dh told him he was hiding it for his sis to get him off the trail. Boy was he surprised when he got it on Christmas morning.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2dream said:
I wish I had an old freezer. I am watching free cycle for one. I want to make a root cellar out of it.
Old fridges and freezers have so many different useful purposes and they are always a great find for us SS people.
The brick part of our house is built on top of a root cellar, there is a hatch in the floor in one of the closets that goes down into it :) The hatch is not operative at the moment as someone put a closet over it, and now half of it is under the wall hahaha.