Same old freezer, new purpose

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
2dream said:
I wish I had an old freezer. I am watching free cycle for one. I want to make a root cellar out of it.
Old fridges and freezers have so many different useful purposes and they are always a great find for us SS people.
The brick part of our house is built on top of a root cellar, there is a hatch in the floor in one of the closets that goes down into it :) The hatch is not operative at the moment as someone put a closet over it, and now half of it is under the wall hahaha.
Ok I am curious, are you just planning to store your veggies in the old frezer but not have it pluged in? Or do yo plan to dig a hole and put it in the ground? I have read that you can use something as simple as a metal trash can if you sink it in the ground. I wish I had a root celler. I have a garage under my house. The back wall is dirt on two sides. But it still seems to heat up a bit.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
lupinfarm said:
2dream said:
I wish I had an old freezer. I am watching free cycle for one. I want to make a root cellar out of it.
Old fridges and freezers have so many different useful purposes and they are always a great find for us SS people.
The brick part of our house is built on top of a root cellar, there is a hatch in the floor in one of the closets that goes down into it :) The hatch is not operative at the moment as someone put a closet over it, and now half of it is under the wall hahaha.
Ok I am curious, are you just planning to store your veggies in the old frezer but not have it pluged in? Or do yo plan to dig a hole and put it in the ground? I have read that you can use something as simple as a metal trash can if you sink it in the ground. I wish I had a root celler. I have a garage under my house. The back wall is dirt on two sides. But it still seems to heat up a bit.
Our root cellar has concrete walls from the foundation, dirt floor, and on one side huge boulders which are holding up the left side of the house. It's an 1870's farmhouse lol.

I would thinking burying it in the ground would make sense right? I guess she wants extra room, a metal trash can wouldn't give you a whole load of room lol.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Tankshill - I want to bury the freezer in the yard and use as a root cellar. I would love to find an old upright freezer to use for that purpose. We have a slightly inclined hill right behind our house that would be perfect. I saw the "How To turn a freezer into a root cellar" in either one of the Fox Fire books or my "Root Cellaring" book. Can't remember which or it could have been both.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
2dream said:
Me to!! I been looking for one for a few weeks now.....

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You know I have been rolling this idea around in the back of my head. If it is just being used for insulation qualities as well as being air tight. Wouldn't a fridge work as well? I mean if you got your hands on a little fridge and turned it on its back? Any opinions???

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I dunno about the fridge thing, but we are using our deep freezer for feed storage, too, since it finally croaked. :p

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Come to think of it, I have a freezer up in the shed...working, but empty (not plugged in)...and RIGHT beside it I have three bags of feed...one I noticed yesterday has a hole in it and something has been helping itself at my expense. Time to use that freezer I guess.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
You know I have been rolling this idea around in the back of my head. If it is just being used for insulation qualities as well as being air tight. Wouldn't a fridge work as well? I mean if you got your hands on a little fridge and turned it on its back? Any opinions???
This thread kind of got lost for me somehow and I am just now getting back to it. If you are interested I will look through my Root Cellaring book and find the instructions for you.
Just let me know.

My personal root cellar plans are on the back burner at the moment. DH says we have to complete some other things that are started first. I am thinking "COMPLETE PROJECTS", US......who is he kidding. LOL