sassafras root beer

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had read that they stopped using sassafras as a flavoring for root beer when it was shown to cause cancer in rats.

From the website: https://www.verywellfit.com/sassafras-tea-benefits-and-side-effects-4163470

"The volatile oil—or rapidly evaporating essential oil— found in the roots of the sassafras tree contains safrole. Safrole has been classified as a Substance Generally Prohibited From Direct Addition or Use as Human Food. Concerns about safrole became significant after studies conducted in the 1960s and 1970s showed that safrole caused cancer in rodents."

I do not know if those studies are true of not, or if their scientific processes even make sense. I know some of the "scientific" studies we looked at in college that "prove"d something causes cancer was administered to the test rats at such a high concentration that there was no way that they couldn't get sick and die.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had read that they stopped using sassafras as a flavoring for root beer when it was shown to cause cancer in rats.

From the website: https://www.verywellfit.com/sassafras-tea-benefits-and-side-effects-4163470

"The volatile oil—or rapidly evaporating essential oil— found in the roots of the sassafras tree contains safrole. Safrole has been classified as a Substance Generally Prohibited From Direct Addition or Use as Human Food. Concerns about safrole became significant after studies conducted in the 1960s and 1970s showed that safrole caused cancer in rodents."

I do not know if those studies are true of not, or if their scientific processes even make sense. I know some of the "scientific" studies we looked at in college that "prove"d something causes cancer was administered to the test rats at such a high concentration that there was no way that they couldn't get sick and die.

I was already aware - thanks.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My bad. I meant dihydrogen monoxide .

Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My bad. I meant dihydrogen monoxide .

Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

You mean water?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had no idea, lol! Learn something new every day...

From Wikipedia:
"The dihydrogen monoxide parody involves calling water by the unfamiliar chemical name "dihydrogen monoxide" (DHMO), or "hydroxylic acid" in some cases, and listing some of water's well-known effects in a particularly alarming manner, such as accelerating corrosion and causing suffocation. The parody often calls for dihydrogen monoxide to be banned, regulated, and labeled as dangerous. It illustrates how a lack of scientific literacy and an exaggerated analysis can lead to misplaced fears.

The parody gained renewed popularity in the late 1990s when a 14-year-old student, Nathan Zohner,[1] collected anti-DHMO petitions for a science project about gullibility.[2] The story has since been used in science education to encourage critical thinking and discussion of the scientific method.[3][4]"

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If one were to take to heart the many warnings about the chemicals that are found in the foods we eat, (even the ones grown in our own organic gardens) our diets would be extremely limited.

IMO, all things in moderation.

When reading any "so called legitimate study", it's helpful to ask the following questions:

Who is paying for the study? Does the outcome of the study have an agenda? Either financial or political? that would benefit the individuals paying for the study? Does the study make sense? Are the numbers statistically significant?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
dihydrogen monoxide (water) - the most abundant and deadly substance on planet earth! Better requlate it, oops already done.