Sauerkraut is "ughghghg" nasty smelling

Chickenkitty

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Kraut last year did not smell like this batch does. I know it should have some odor, but this smells like a dead mouse. I swear it does. It's been sitting for 3 weeks now, no mold. How am I going to know if it's good? Someone said it'll be pinkish and slimmy. Is this the only indications of it spoiling instead of fermenting?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Throw it out...bury it. Yes, it should be at room temp no more than 3 days. It can be out of the fridge for months if you have a good root cellar or the equivalent.

Remember, when fermenting, the nose knows! I have far more successes than failures, and far more successes with clean homegrown stuff and locally grown organic....less bad beasties. I've had dismal failures with storebought produce. But anything can get bad bacteria in it without us knowing.

Botulism is not an issue in ferments that are not canned and sealed. Botulism is anaerobic.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
I thought SK was suppost to only ferment for 3 days and then go into cold storage?
I think what we need to know is did you use whey in your recipe?

g

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Throw it out...bury it. Yes, it should be at room temp no more than 3 days. It can be out of the fridge for months if you have a good root cellar or the equivalent.

Remember, when fermenting, the nose knows! I have far more successes than failures, and far more successes with clean homegrown stuff and locally grown organic....less bad beasties. I've had dismal failures with storebought produce. But anything can get bad bacteria in it without us knowing.

Botulism is not an issue in ferments that are not canned and sealed. Botulism is anaerobic.
Yep and just how much oxygen do you suppose your brine or other ferment solution contains? I suspect they qualify as anaerobic enviriments

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Nope, I'm confident that it is fine as far as botulism is concerned. Not saying other nasty stuff can't get in there, but not botulism!

Chickenkitty

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I used my own grown cabbage, I don't use whey. and I've always let my cabbage set in the crock for a few weeks til it tastes as sour as I want before I can it. The batch last year was fantastic, the first batch I did this year was too salty and not "sour" enough. It only set for 10 days. this batch is much larger and DH wanted to make sure it tasted "krautier" and wanted it to set longer. Darned if I know what to do with it......................

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I agree with "When in doubt, throw it out". Sounds like you have done this before and know how it should smell and look. It also sounds like you are concerned about this batch. Its safer to just start over.

I leave mine out for 7 to 8 days before I put it in the fridge. 7 to 8 days is usually where it taste like I want it to. So I have no knowledge of what happens to it after that.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
urban dreamer said:
I thought SK was suppost to only ferment for 3 days and then go into cold storage?
I think what we need to know is did you use whey in your recipe?

g
Nope, salt. I hadn't made cheese yet so I didn't have any whey. I put my SK into cold storage after 2 1/2 days.