Savingdogs-Saving the chickens

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
And that smell......:sick

I'm not fond of the smell of any type of poo, but duck poo is especially bad. People say guineas have the stinkiest poo, so I have been so far reluctant to give them a try.
Oh yeah THEY stink. At least most guinea flocks, my sister's included tend to range far and wide most of the time. You just don't get the concentrated mess of a duck.

We were watching sissy's flock yesterday for a long time. She has 13 new keets (a week old now) and the platoon was taking them out to forage. One mother actually hatched the brood and it is under that mother that they go to warm up or rest, but the rest of the time all of the flock watches them and feeds them. I guess guineas believe the "It Takes a Village" mantra. :lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
They range far and wide, really? That would work well for us. I may have to think about getting some. They are mainly for eating as meat birds, correct?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope Hubby doesn't overdo things and get really sick! I have known other dogs that are like Bindi Jo... I think they can smell changes in your body. Even some people can do that-- I knew a guy that always knew when any woman was about to get her period-- usually about 2 days before. He said that women get a particular odor (not unpleasant - just distinctive) when the hormones change to start that.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
They range far and wide, really? That would work well for us. I may have to think about getting some. They are mainly for eating as meat birds, correct?
That, plus eating mosquitos and wasps and other insects and mice and snakes :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Yup. They can really fly! They are loud and none too tame, but they are pretty. My sis has lavender, royal purple, coral blue, dundotte, pearl and she used to have bi-colors as well, but the coyotes ate the last one of those when she was hiding out a nest. They eat tons of bugs, and will even kill snakes! That is a sight to see with a batch of them all circled around ripping a snake into bits. :ep

Here is a picture of some of my sissy's birds

Lavendar%20Guinea%20Hen4.jpg
guinea%20baby.jpg

Purple%20guinea%20snowa.jpg

BTW Britesea, we used to tease my Grandma Nettie all of the time she had such a sensitive nose we called her the bloodhound! Your friend sounds like he has a similar nose. ;)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I may try them as my next meat project. I don't want just rabbit to eat.

We were supposed to have one "totally dry day" today and of course it is pouring pitchforks. At least Cody has figured his hut out and now is staying high and dry in there.

We didn't have enough money for BOSS for awhile and yesterday I finally bought another bag. The animals are going NUTS for it! It is the number one favorite food of the goats, the rabbits and the chickens.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
colowyo0809 said:
savingdogs said:
That, plus eating mosquitos and wasps and other insects and mice and snakes :)
I hear they eat ticks, that is enough for me. I hate ticks!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Britesea said:
I hope Hubby doesn't overdo things and get really sick! I have known other dogs that are like Bindi Jo... I think they can smell changes in your body. Even some people can do that-- I knew a guy that always knew when any woman was about to get her period-- usually about 2 days before. He said that women get a particular odor (not unpleasant - just distinctive) when the hormones change to start that.
I can always tell. I can tell when I bipolar is hitting a swing, when schizophrenics go into an episode, when a girl is ovulating or bleeding, and when a female is preggers or just lost one. I can also tell the smells of lust and violence. And fear. I decide if I can be around a person based on scents :D

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
abifae said:
Britesea said:
I can always tell. I can tell when I bipolar is hitting a swing, when schizophrenics go into an episode, when a girl is ovulating or bleeding, and when a female is preggers or just lost one. I can also tell the smells of lust and violence. And fear. I decide if I can be around a person based on scents :D
Sounds like you are much more attuned to your instincts than most people. I should think I would be developing a strong sense of smell with losing my hearing but so far, nada pasa. But I'm sure dogs note feelings by smelling us. Bindi Jo seems to know the scent of us "feeling bad" is what I think she interprets. She also responds the same way to sadness. She basically comes and sits on the person and studies them, licks wounds, and tries to find ways to curl up next to or on top of you. She is a small dog (about 50 pounds) so she can fit into a small space next to you. But she has a particular expression she wears when she is worried.

That was one of the things I loved about the Clan of the Cave Bear books, the way the people were more in tune with their instincts.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
We decided yesterday that abi's nick name needs to be changed fron abi farrah fowler to abi feral fowler :gig

And speaking of that book,last night we watched a special called I, Caveman. They had a group of people try to live like cavemen for 10 days. They made SO many mistakes and 2 dropped out. I was yelling at the tv what they should be doing. Hubby said great ideas and where did i learn all that . I said reading the clan of the cave bear series :D