Savingdogs-Saving the chickens

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I guess they are still working on the listing. We probably need to send them his picture!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
So our ducklings come tomorrow!
15 Muscovy day-old ducklings are coming from J. M. Hatchery back east. My husband is waiting for the post office to call when they arrive. He will go pick them up and then take the rest of the day off.

I was off today and have to work tomorrow, but I spent the day setting up my brooder. I have a spare bedroom which is quite small so we don't use it for much. Normally I have a row of dog crates set up in there to crate the dogs in.
Trouble has been sleeping and staying in our living room, which is a more pleasant room than his bedroom, which is the farthest from the woodstove and kitchen, and remember Trouble is 13 and has to replenish his energy levels often.
So I moved my "dog crate row" into his bedroom, moved most of his stuff into his closet, and made his bedroom a "dog room. I love it. I have three large crates, a large dog bed on the floor and a favorite chair the dogs like to sit on. I could comfortably house all of our dogs in there at one time if I chose, along with the food and bowls, etc.
Then two doors down is my bird room where the ducklings will go.

I also have a broody hen sitting on 10 eggs. This should be interesting! But we are certainly on our way to being more self sufficient. The bulk of the ducklings will go to "freezer camp" in two months and the nicest and biggest will stay as our pets and future parents. We are also getting another breed of duckling (still undetermined) to raise with them as more of an egg layer. Locally I'm finding Cayugas, Pekins and Khaki Campbells. The Cayugas I could bring home asap, the Pekins next Tuesday but the Khaki Campbells not until next month. So we will see how it goes with the 15 first.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well the broody hen deal didn't work out. I had my Buff Orpington girl .....I have eight hens that look pretty much alike. The only way I can distinguish the one that was broody is by a certain tail feather that sticks up, so I guess she is "Feather". In any event, Feather really seemed to want to sit on eggs so I saved up enough of the right kind. This took me about four or five days to accomplish because I was trying to only use clean BO colored eggs.
In any event, she sat on them until a couple of days ago. When she got off the nest, the one we call the "Little Red Hen" got on and sat down on her eggs. When Feather came back, she tried to sit on them too! The space is too narrow so they were uncomfortable. The little red hen kind of pushed Feather out. I decided to intervene at this point and pushed the Little Red hen out. But Feather would not get back in and walked away, pretending to eat (or perhaps she was truly hungry).
That particular day I put new drier dirt down in the pen and this turned out to be a mistake, because Feather went out and became totally interested in the new dirt and giving herself a nice long dust bath. This whole time the Little Red Hen was doing a good imitation of being broody.

However when I went out to collect eggs a little later, Feather was sitting on the eggs again. And the next morning, the nest became empty except for the usual egg-laying patterns, so I've removed the eggs.
I suppose I should have put Feather somewhere by herself?

Our ducklings also came! We paid for same day air so that they would only be en route 24 hours. We got a call from the hatchery that they heard from the post office that our ducklings missed the plane and we'd get new ones on Friday instead, that they would sell our original ducklings to a local customer since they missed the plane. But the post office messed up and sent them on anyways! So we got them Thursday mid-day, after they had been traveling and without food or water two days! One had died. In the next 48 hours, two more died. They were just too dehydrated. So we ended up with 13 live ducklings despite the good advice of the hatchery folks, who had us give them warmed sugar water immediately. The hatchery was extremely nice and credited us back for the two ducklings that died (they had sent an extra one as well), which I thought was generous considering the post office messed up, not them. But that made our overall investment in that "same day air" seem less of a waste. It was sad seeing those little weak ones try to make it. I think we will try to buy local next time although we really liked J.M. Hatchery.
After reading up on ducks some more, I decided I wanted a second breed, more of an egg laying one, to raise with these ducklings. I originally wanted Pekin or Khaki Campbell, but could not find either of those breeds available now when my muscovies are young. So I researched Cayuga, which I did have two on hold from the local feed store. I went and picked them up on Friday, they are beautiful! They incorporated into the little flock really well, and so now I have 15 again after all. The plan will be to keep the two female Cayuga, two female muscovy and one muscovy drake as my little waterfowl flock. Next year, I want to add a pair of geese to round everything out.
Commentaries on my waterfowl plans are welcome!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
The ducklings are getting bigger! I cannot believe how fast they grow. I am trying the new waterer today I learned about on BYC. I sure love these forums. They are adorable! I'm so glad I got the Cayuga now, they are my favorite after being so dead set I wanted Muscovy, Pekin and Khaki Campbell. But the Cayuga are so adorable. They are a little older so they boss the other ducks around.
We are going to get that outdoor pen finished pretty soon....they are growing quick! I think I will need to set up a second brooder because of space. I think I'll try to put all the "keepers" in one and all the "freezer campers" in the other, that way we know which ones to concentrate on handling alot. Seems like a good plan at least, but for the moment they are still all together. I just note they double in size daily and are in a comfortable amount of space now....with just a little extra.
They poo sure is smelly. I'm not enjoying that part of this. I'll be happy to let the mama ducks take care of the ducklings next time.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congrats on your ducklings! Boy oh boy, do I remember the smell!!! I did that last spring. Yup, wont do THAT again!! LOL It took me a week to get the smell out of the garage. I have Khaki Kambells...and I love them. I just have a pair for now, but getting ready to incubate eggs soon. I was planning to let the hen do it, but she just wont set! UGH! At least this way I can handle them, and tame them. I thought about geese as well....then...reasing on everyones geese...I decided I wont. Im not up to a fight with a mean old gander! LOL

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I probably would have brought home geese too if they had them at the feed store, but they didn't!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey baby! update your journal and tell us whats going on!

:)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Company! We have had tons of it! We never get anyone driving all the way up our hill and down our long gravel road, so all this company is a big deal! Much house cleaning ado! We had two long time old friends come to town........one is an interesting story in itself..... and now my sister is coming to town for Canadian Thanksgiving this week. They live in Canada.........

The interesting story is a facebook reunion....and I have to start off by saying I've been the Facebook person for awhile as it suits my growing deafness and my hubby was very resistant, until finally he was using MY name and site and I told him to butt out and get his own name on there. Well, sure enough, the man who didn't want to "hook up with anyone from the past" is now hooked on facebook specifically because of his great friends who have found him from the past, many from his preteen and childhood years.

They were discussing online a person they had all known and wondering where he was. One of them had heard a rumour that he was dead and my husband went through a few days of mourning this person who was actually a dear friend back then I'll call him Bill. Eventually he realized his mother was still around and that she had been an extremely helpful person during his childhood, had probably even saved his life. So he decided he wanted to talk to her and console her about Bill. Well, she has her phone number on FB (bad..........I would never do that) and my hubby calls her up. Right off the bat when she finds out where we live which is 1,000 miles north of where we knew Bill, she says, holy cow, that is right where BILL IS LIVING NOW. Coulda knocked my hubby on the floor as he thought it was a 15-year-tardy condolence call. Sure enough, he lives about an hour away, has been living up here almost as long as us, and we have reconnected and my hubby has a new best friend, an old best friend. His death was just a rumor based on the fact he had a bad accident and NEARLY died, which did happen 15 years ago.

In any event, this "dead" guy did not have any trouble navigating his way up our road and bringing his twin sons and 14-year-old son he managed to have while he was in his grave. lol. Since we also have a 14-year-old son, they make great company! One day I came home from work however and they were all here, all males, just one little ol' female me and all those young men. ........so I've been cooking, doing laundry, cleaning carpet, yelling at teenagers who forgot to water goats, etc.

I wasn't sure I had much to say in my journal either but I thought that was an interesting Facebook story. It was really cool for my hubby! When the hubby is a happy man it is always good. And everyone around here knows they will be clobbered if the goats are forgotten EVER again.
:somad

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
WOW!! that is an amazing story!! i guess the rumors of his death were greatly exaggerated??

sounds like a great connection
:)

i know a retired teacher who loves FB - he's going around looking up his students and is having a great time.

say since you are in a cleaning mode... do you wanna do my kitchen? the kitchen fairies never showed up
;-)